HP SLATE 7 "EXTREME" (4084 Views)
Honor Student
RARTobias
Message 1 of 36 (4,084 Views)

HP SLATE 7 "EXTREME"

[ Edited ]

hello HP staff/s and members.. i'm about to order a new tablet which is the new hp slate 7 "extreme", the one with nvidia tegra 4 and built in passive pen stylus,. im aware that this tablet is a rebranded  "nvidia tegra note",. and also manufacturers such as EVGA and XOLO are some of the similar brands acquiring the tablet. I've also recently read an article that those brands receive an update to android 4.3,.

so, my questions are:,

1.) is there a difference in terms of specs. on the said other manufacturers above? (ex.evga, xolo)

• i noticed proximity sensor is not present on the HP device (please confirm)
  • bluetooth 3.0 instead of 4.0?
  • finer tip of stylus (which i like by the way)

2.) would HP slate extreme also receive this update (4.3)? and possible 4.4(kitkat) as well?

3.) it's stock android, so is it possible to receive an update thru (OTA) / over the air?

4.) is rooting/or installing other 3rd party apps (supported by evga/xolo) compatible with this HP device?

5.) and will HP continue supporting this device? and would you consider more tablet with pen support in the future?

P.S. Greetings.. im from the Philippines by the way, which HP is a very well-known and famous brand, and currently we have this tablet available in our country,. i also own a HP ENVY touchsmart 15, which im very happy with.. i gotta say im a big HP fan myself :smileyhappy: i hope to see you guys continue pushing updates with "HP devices" and make more of them, (anticipating to own a new rumored HP phone) Cheers! :smileywink:

Honor Student
DheybCee
Message 2 of 36 (3,921 Views)

Re: HP SLATE 7 "EXTREME"

Hi RARTobias...I'm planning and actually waiting for this tablet..and u said that this was currently available here in philippines? Are you sure? In what mall did they selling HP SLATE 7 EXTREME..i do really wanna have one..and how much? :smileyhappy:thanks in advanced
Honor Student
RARTobias
Message 3 of 36 (3,903 Views)

hi DheybCee, where exactly in the philippines do you live?, well i'm still waiting for any HP experts advice regarding with my questions above.. because im still torn between choosing this device and the note 8 version that of samsung.. anyway, i already made an inquiry about the device (HP SLATE 7 EXTREME) at greenware and ormocnet here in our place and its available for preorder, and will receive the unit 5-15days shipment period.. but if you happen to be in manila you can just purchase it at SM cyberzone or CMK store (if they got stocks left),  or order it thru online and to be delivered via LBC the following day.. check it here.. http://www.cmkcellphones.com/HP_Tablet.html,

Regarding with the price i'm a bit disappointed, it's suppose to retail at $199 or approximately 8-9k peso in our currency, but the stores mentioned has a price point starting from 13,500 - 14,900 pesos depending on which store you inquire, im guessing because its for the shipment or other taxes fee.. but if you happen to find other store with lower price, please do inform me aswell.. thanks!

Honor Student
DheybCee
Message 4 of 36 (3,888 Views)

Yup‘ i didn't expect that price range!! 13~14k!? Its not a budget tab. Anymore :smileysad:
I'm from calamba laguna..and im always checking s.m calamba‘s cyberzone if they already have this tab. But sadly they still don't have one...hope that there's one in other s.m branch.. :smileysad: have u seen one?
HP Support Agent
HevnLgh
Message 5 of 36 (3,768 Views)

Hi Folks,

I suggest contacting HP, they will be able to help you out. Please contact them in your area for information regarding the HP Slate 7 and the availability: Contact HP Worldwide

Thank you,

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HevnlghHelP
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
erag
Message 6 of 36 (3,722 Views)

I too, am wondering why there is a delay in releasing the 4.3 Jellybean update that Nvidia produced for their "Note" partners. There are only a couple of HP product apps, which should only need testing. Why not release this which provides improved camera handling, etc?
Tutor
Zeblade
Message 7 of 36 (3,701 Views)

Lol the name HP does not mean what it use to. On Nvidia's site it lists all the other names for the note 7 yet HP is missing from the list. When EVGA gets the update already and HP is very quite. Oh this "contact HP in your area" or what ever he she said. What a way to pass the buck. Haha as if this person has NO WAY of finding out. So if you want the update to 4.3 return your new HP slate 7 extreme and get the evga note 7. There is no difference what so ever other then cheap covering. You will always get Nvidias updates. I just bought the HP from Amazon and after finding out they wont talk to you wont answer you .. I am sending it back and will post this as a review. HP should be the 1st to have the update yet like the reviews said HP's slate 7 extreme is to late to the party. HP just laid off tons of people so its not looking good for them.
Honor Student
RARTobias
Message 8 of 36 (3,411 Views)

[ Edited ]

update: just recently checked my thread to see some answers but sad to say none of the answers had helped me so far.. but anyway here's some updates to my inquiries:

1. HP slate 7 Extreme does indeed have bluetooth 3.0 as opposed to 4.0 advertised, but nice to see it supports miracast

2. HP version has a finer 1.5mm thick stylus, where as other tegra note version has a chisel tip (hp stylus is way better, besides the end of the stylus is chiseled tip aswell)

3. HP has a more vivid screen "imho" compared to other tegra note version, comparing it side by side the other version seemed a lil' bit washed out.

now back to my very important question/s:

1. will any hp expert confirm if "HP slate 7 extreme" would indeed receive 4.3 update?.. (or just skip to 4.4 android?)

2. if not, i know rooting and installing custom ROMs, so can anyone confirm this thread below on XDA is supported in our device? (need to know hardware specs is supported or identical)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nvidia-tegra-note-7

p.s. sorry for the link if its inappropriate to post it here but im desperate for answers and want to help clear things up on my fellow hp friends as well.. cheers!

Honor Student
Hadarmil
Message 9 of 36 (2,894 Views)

Hi, new here, and apparently will soon be gone. By what I see I agree that the best solution to the lack of updates is simply to avoid HP as a company completely. The TN7 has Kitkat and we'll probably get 4.3 in a few months if ever.
HP could've been a bit more caring towards their consumers and offer somekind of updating schedule for their tablets, especially since most of the work has already been done - but as it stands they don't give a s#*t.

I'm sticking to the companies who respect me as a consumer. HP isn't one of them.

p. s. about the "vivid" screen - not that much of a difference. I personally couldn't tell them apart(looking at a friend's TN7). The different stylus - you can buy the whole package(called directstylus pro pack) for 20$ including a bunch of spares. An extra Jackson is much for a 200$ tablet, but you'll have to get replacement tips eventually if you actually use it.
Tutor
TXMaverick
Message 10 of 36 (2,671 Views)

Re: HP SLATE 7 "EXTREME" / Android 4.3 4.4

You need to go read zeblade's post above yours. He pretty much nailed it. After scouring multiple HP support sites I can tell you conclusively that HP will NOT respond to any questions about KitKat. And you can call India all you want to (good luck getting a US citizen on their POS support line) but you'll only get their scripted canned response about if an update is available it will show up on the update menu. Bottom line is if you want Android 4.4 go somewhere other than HP until they get their act together. Perhaps by the time Android 5.0 is available HP will be up to 4.3...maybe.

It is really sad for me as an engineer who grew up knowing what HP used to be to see what a crappy, Acer-like company they have become.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation