HP Slate 21 - Google Apps Device Policy (449 Views)
Honor Student
Kieron_W
Message 1 of 4 (449 Views)

HP Slate 21 - Google Apps Device Policy

I have just received a new HP Slate 21 and I a staggered that its not compatable with the "Google Apps Device Policy" app. I can see this being a very nice option for my 200 device estate (all based in branch offices), but the only way it can be managed is with Google Apps, can anyone tell me when this will be able to use the device policy app?

Dean
WyreNut
Message 2 of 4 (435 Views)

Re: HP Slate 21 - Google Apps Device Policy

Hello Kieron_W, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Best explanation of incompatibility would be the lack of a GPS chip in the device.  Difficult to self-locate without one.  :smileysad:

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.

You too can become an HP Expert! Details HERE!

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!
Honor Student
Kieron_W
Message 3 of 4 (432 Views)

I think thats a very plausable explaination but it has some far reaching implications for Android as a potential enterprise OS. No one in enterprise is going to embrace Android on the desktop without being able to manage their estate in an Active Directory type manner with group policies. As far as I could see this device was going to compliment my Google Apps Domain brilliantly and enable me to remove lots of Windows and OSX based machines which are completely unnecessary now everything goes on in a web browser. The wheels just came off that idea though!

Intern
asomicait
Message 4 of 4 (391 Views)

There are other tools that can remotely wipe and/or lock a non-GPS device. But the IT department has to understandthe implications of a wifi-only device. A thief can isolate it from the Internet and it is not designed with a tamper-resistant ID the way a "phone" is. But then, those limitations apply to most non-Android laptops.

The real issue is that IT is going to want *one* method for controlling Android devices. Google should provide that and just inform the user "this device cannot be auto-located because it lacks a GPS chip."

The slate 21 and the slatebook x2 have potential for IT deployment. HP might want to plug this gap is Google is not going to.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation