Slate 7 (1761 Views)
Student
AROCHA
Message 1 of 23 (1,761 Views)

Hello everybody!!

I would like to know how I can transfer my files from my laptop (ej. music files, movies, etc) directly to the SD card into the tablet, i couldn't find the way that i can "move" the files into the tablet, i couldn't find the "explorer files"  and i would like to use the internal memory just for the apps and avoid full it with this kind of file, thanks!!! AROCHA.

Top Student
LeopoldBloom
Message 2 of 23 (1,749 Views)
Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 3 of 23 (1,724 Views)

Re: Slate 7

Arocha,

I understand you want to transfer files from the PC to the microSD card in the Slate 7.

You should be able to connect the Slate 7 to the PC and transfer files as you would other devices.  

The Slate 7 should appear in the Computer section where the other drives are listed.

Opening the HP Slate 7 should reveal the Slate's storage as well as the microSD card.

This will depend on the operating system, but it should work with any Windows after XP.  If you have Windows XP, there is a way to get this to work.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Tutor
Anothertechguy
Message 4 of 23 (1,671 Views)

I use this app ES file manager works very well
Pick it up in the play store
Hp slate 7
Ainol Venus quad core 4.2.2
Hp touchpad web os 3.05
iPad gen 3. 32 gb
Samsung galaxy nexus 4.2.2
Gone but not forgotten
Htc trophy wp7
Ford laser Lxi 2001
Honor Student
cheezels
Message 5 of 23 (1,597 Views)

This helps explain a problem I was having. I just bought a card, and when hooked up to my PC it shows the slate, but won't let me transfer files such as Word or pdf files. It says "file type not supported by this device...."and I have to cancel the action. I do the same with it hooked up to my laptop and it works OK.   PC is Windows XP, but laptop is Windows 7.

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 6 of 23 (1,577 Views)

[ Edited ]

@cheezels, 

I understand that you are having some difficulties transferring files to your Slate 7 on your Windows XP system.

Windows XP doesn't natively support MTP (the protocol used to transfer files by most Android devices) and there are currently no drivers available for the Slate 7.  However, there is a way to get the Slate 7 to work for this purpose in Windows XP.  The following thread details the process I and a colleague used with an XP system and a Slate 7 here and it was successful, so it should be successful in this case as well.  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Android-Tablets-e-g-HP-Slate-7/Windows-XP-MTP/m-p/2576045/highlight/tru...

The process can be found starting on message 4.  Do note that mjhuffer had to use a different hardware ID, but the hardware IDs in the thread should cover the Slate 7 tablets that are available.  However, you will need to retrieve the hardware ID of the Slate 7 using the Windows 7 system if it is the 16GB model.  I don't have access to the 16GB model to get the hardware ID.  

Has this process been done to get it working on the XP system?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Tutor
profjulie
Message 7 of 23 (1,571 Views)

[ Edited ]

Strange....I use a Windows XP computer and all I did was connect my slate to my computer with the USB cable and I can move files back and fortyh between my computer & slate with no problems whatsoever. I also have no problems accessing the SD card that is in the Slate.

Prof Julie | Microsoft MVP Windows Phone Consumer
Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 8 of 23 (1,569 Views)

[ Edited ]

That is indeed strange. If I edit the file back to it's original state, the transfer functionality ceases to function on the XP test system here. However, I haven't ran Windows Update recently to see if that might have changed anything natively.

By chance, was a device with a generic MTP driver connected prior to the Slate 7?  For example, a Nexus tablet.  If a device with a generic MTP driver is connected prior to the Slate 7, the Slate 7 would then work without using the process listed above as MTP support would have been added by the other device.

Signature
Tutor
profjulie
Message 9 of 23 (1,562 Views)

Yes, I thought about it and I also copy media between my windows phone 8 and computer. The windows phone 8 uses the same MTP protocol and the drivers were automatically added to my computer when I first connected the phone to the computer. The computer recognized the phone as a new device and then went out to the internet to search for the proper driver.

Prof Julie | Microsoft MVP Windows Phone Consumer
Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 10 of 23 (1,556 Views)

That is most likely why it had worked without making any changes to the system then.
Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation