Question

Honor Student
jb1701e
Message 1 of 12 (6,441 Views)

This App is not compatible with your device... WHY?

I got the new Slate 7 few days ago from the mail. I'm trying to download a couple apps from Google Play  onto my device, but I get this messege "This item is not compatible with your device". How I can fix that problem. I live in the U.S. 

PhD Student
PeaceLily
Message 2 of 12 (6,435 Views)

Re: This App is not compatible with your device... WHY?

Some apps won't download to the Slate 7 because of specific hardware requirements that the app developers set. For example, some apps require GPS (which the Slate 7 doesn't have). The best workaround I know of for this situation is to try to access the service via the browser, if available, rather than installing it as an app.

Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
I work on behalf of HP.
Honor Student
jb1701e
Message 3 of 12 (6,436 Views)

Then why I sepnt $182 for this device. I will send this back to HP, get a refund and purchase a mini-Ipad. Thanks for the help.

PhD Student
PeaceLily
Message 4 of 12 (6,430 Views)

Just so you know, most apps do work on the tablet, it's a small minority that won't install. Maybe you can find a similar app that does work, or access the app service from the browser--you can create a bookmark for that site and place the bookmark as a widget on your home screen, so that the experience is similar to opening an app.

Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
I work on behalf of HP.
Honor Student
jb1701e
Message 5 of 12 (6,428 Views)

No. This was a huge mistake buying this tablet. My old HTC Flyer was running andriod 3.2 with a GPS and NEVER gave me this type of problem.  Most of the apps I need ran great without any problems. I can't believe a major company such as HP will allow their people to tell the consumer to use similar apps. Like I said, I will return this device back to HP and get my refune and purchase the mini-iPad. Again, thank you for your help, but this is not the answer I was waiting for.

Master's Graduate
Holly_J
Message 6 of 12 (6,419 Views)

If you have an Android phone, or a friend with one, try using APK Extractor on the supported device. Send the apk file to your GMail account and load it on the Slate 7. (This way, you know that the apk came from the app on the Google Play Store.) If it needs additional files, these will get downloaded from Google Play when you try to run the app, so it may take a bit more time to fully install. I haven't found one app, yet, that doesn't run - so provided you don't care much about the truly unsupported features of the app (generally, anything that requires a GPS or cell phone) you may be able to run it just fine.

At least one app developer I've talked to was unaware that the app (WordPress) was requiring GPS to install from Google Play, and sent me a direct link to the official apk. I don't know too many WordPress bloggers who use the geolocation features of the platform in the first place, and none of the functionality I'd expect from WordPress was missing.

You might also look for the tablet version of some apps - these are designed specifically for the tablet, not the Android phone, and will not require any of these workarounds.

------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Please click the little thumbs-up dealybopper to the lower right if my reply was helpful to you. Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem. This will help others, too!
Top Student
Gbrice1972
Message 7 of 12 (6,328 Views)

I encountered this issue several times yesterday agin each time it was for an app that requires GPS, my work around was to download the .apk from a 3rd party site rather than the Play store, transfer to the device via USB and install using the file manager, all of the apps once installed worked fine using wifi to obtain location, Tripadvisor app for example.
Obviously if you scourcing .apks from anywhere other than the play store make sure you have appropriate AV installed.

HP Support Agent
Jon-W
Message 8 of 12 (6,309 Views)

Google play itself is what will not allow the app to be downloaded so that customers dont have a poor experience with apps that are not meant to run on their device.

Thats a great workaround gbrice since a lot of apps use the GPS in a non essential way, even without wifi location a lot of them will actually function fine.

Jon-W
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the KUDOS STAR on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Student
kpirhonen
Message 9 of 12 (6,280 Views)

Thanks a mil. This worked like a charm!
Master's Graduate
Holly_J
Message 10 of 12 (6,267 Views)

Great! Thanks for the confirmation! 

------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Please click the little thumbs-up dealybopper to the lower right if my reply was helpful to you. Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem. This will help others, too!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation