how to install usb driver for Slate 7 (10436 Views)
Honor Student
Begines
Message 1 of 12 (10,436 Views)

how to install usb driver for Slate 7

Hello, i need to install the usb driver for the Slate 7.

I work with Windows 8 and the SDK Android. The problem is that the device is not recognized by adb.

I followed the steps in a previous post, but do not know how to install the usb driver.

Thanks.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 12 (10,427 Views)

Re: how to install usb driver for Slate 7

[ Edited ]

Android Jellybean does not require you to install a driver. All that is required is that the device connected to it has a partition and files that are recognized by the android OS.  What device are you trying to connect to your Slate 7 via the micro USB port that is not recognized by the OS?

Slate 7 has nothing to do with Windows 8, so I really don't quite understand the reference to it in the subject of your thread.  Do you mean to say that you have familiarity with Windows 8, but not much familiarity with Android? 

Best regards,
erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
Begines
Message 3 of 12 (10,420 Views)

I work with Eclipse and the Android SKD adb in Windows 8.
The tablet connect it to a PC with Windows 8.
The problem, as I said, is that adb does not recognize the tablet.

Thanks.

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 12 (10,401 Views)

[ Edited ]

The Slate 7 user guide explains how to connect to a PC. Turn off usb tethering and you should be able to see the device in the windows explorer of the PC and  transfer files. You will have to play around with the available usb setting to see what will work.

I am fully aware of what Eclipse is.  Unfortunately using Eclipse and the Android sdk is beyond the intended scope of this forum,

The device is so new that there is not even a section for it  at XDA-Developers.com 

there is another discussion of this in the forum at http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Android-Tablets-e-g-HP-Slate-7/ADB-drivers/td-p/2574571

Best regards,
erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
RobertThomas
Message 5 of 12 (9,652 Views)

I am having a similar problem attaching the Eclipse debugger. The debugger does not locate the device. As you say, it may be out of scope. However, after exhausting all other possibilties, I returned to something that I noticed the first time I connected my Slate 7 to my Windows 7 system.

Windows reported that it was installing device drivers. At first it reported success, then that there was a problem.

Device Driver Problem.PNG

However, everything seemed to look ok. Specifically:

1. On the Slate 7, I enabled USB debugging and loading apps from unknown sources.
2. When I connect to my PC, the messages "Connected as a media device" and "USB debugging connected" are displayed on the Slate 7
3. Slate 7 shows up in Windows explorer

So I opened Devices And Printers:

Windows Device Drivers.PNG

Upon selecting MTP, the status area displayed:

Troubleshoot 1.PNG

Clicked "Apply this fix" and gotTroubleshoot2.PNG:

The solution given at the end of the discussion, in the other forum posting you suggested, involves installation of a driver from an untrusted source. Not sure if I want to take the risk

Tutor
haryadoon
Message 6 of 12 (5,291 Views)

Hi, did you resolve this?  

I have a brand-new Slate 7 Extreme and my Windows 8 laptop is behaving in a similar way.  Win8 shows the Slate as an "unspecified" device and says that I need a driver for it.  If I switch the Slate to PTP mode, no problem (except that PTP only exposes the DCIM folder on the device -- I want all storage available to Windows!).  Switch back to MTP and the device appears "unspecified" again.

My Samsung phone works fine as an MTP device, so the problem is not with Windows 8 MTP with Android -- just the Slate.

Intern
zaidrpm
Message 7 of 12 (5,272 Views)

The easiest solution of this problem is moborobo. Install it on your pc then enable debugging and connect. It will automatically install adb.
Intern
Chicago0048
Message 8 of 12 (2,371 Views)

Me too.  This is frustrating.  I really want to use this product, but I'll return it in a heartbeat if I can't find a driver.

I went to Devices and found the Android with a yellow!.  I did troubleshoot, and it tried to detect and fix the problem.  Error message:  MTP USB device has a driver problem.

Tell me how to fix it or I'm sending it back and getting a Win8 tablet.

Tutor
haryadoon
Message 9 of 12 (2,366 Views)

@Chicago0048

Are you trying to use a Slate 7 Extreme on an HP Corporate build laptop running Windows 8?

I have resolved my problem - in a round-about way.  My laptop hard drive failed and I had to rebuild Windows 8 on a new hard drive.  Thank goodness for HP corporate PC Backup that keeps my data saved every day.  Rebuild was quite easy.

Anyway, after the new Windows 8 build, now my laptop recognizes my Slate 7 Extreme as an MTP device.  Problem solved by a rebuild :catsad:

Intern
Chicago0048
Message 10 of 12 (2,365 Views)

Update:

For some unknown unforeseeable reason the Slate 7 device is installed.  Had something to do with MTP.  I guess it automatically found the driver.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation