Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 10 2101

Need help finding my flash drive

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Sherri7397

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Did you check the links I had shared earlier about using the OTG connection?

Please try the links I had shared and this one as well: Use the HP File Manager App to Work with Files on Your Tablet

Normally, it should show up as USB_Storage or Mass_Storage under the left panel of the file manager app,

You could also try installing Apps like the file manager HD from play store to find the storage devices connected to your device,

If you aren't able to find the storage device under the file manager, make sure you check an alternate USB drive to ensure it's not the drive that has connection issues.

Let me know how that pans out, 

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@Sherri7397
Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand you need help to locate the flash drive,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help you, although, to provide an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern: 

Are you referring to the USB on to go or OTG feature?

Has it worked for you previously?

While I await your response,

Here's something you should know:

NOTE: For voice tablets only, USB tethering must be turned off before you can use USB to transfer files between your tablet and a Windows® computer

1. Connect the micro USB cable to your tablet and to a Windows computer. The USB storage appears as a drive on the computer. You can copy files back and forth as you would with any other external device.
2. When you have finished transferring files, disconnect the USB cable.

For reference, please check your user guide: Click here

Click here for information on connecting a USB OTG cable to your HP tablet

Frequently Asked Questions About Your HP Tablet (Android KitKat, Jelly Bean)

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, Thanks for your quick response. To answer your question. Yes, I am using an OTG. First time trying to use it? I have a flash drive that has a work project on it. I am hoping to be able to work at home using my tablet. When I initially plugged it in. I saw where it showed the connection was detected. Than I also saw like something was working. Like it was obtaining the information from the flash drive. My problem is I don't know where that information is? Or how to find it now? Once I can find where the information is. My problem will be solved. Than I can have the leisure of working from home. 

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Lost and Confused. 

Sherri

HP Recommended

@Sherri7397

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Did you check the links I had shared earlier about using the OTG connection?

Please try the links I had shared and this one as well: Use the HP File Manager App to Work with Files on Your Tablet

Normally, it should show up as USB_Storage or Mass_Storage under the left panel of the file manager app,

You could also try installing Apps like the file manager HD from play store to find the storage devices connected to your device,

If you aren't able to find the storage device under the file manager, make sure you check an alternate USB drive to ensure it's not the drive that has connection issues.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi again, I haven't yet checked out the links you sent. But, will first chance I get once I get off work. I'm starting to lean towards your latest suggestion as my solution though. Soon as I do some investigating. I will get back with my results.

Bye for now.
HP Recommended

@Sherri7397

Thank you for the replying,

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, once again. 

Here's an update so far. I don't see a HP file manager App. Is that something that would needed to be downloaded from play store? I did go to play store and saw where you can download that one or the File Manager HD, App. Out of those two. It sounds like the second one would be the better choice? 

I do want to share with you. When I go to Settings/storage/Misc files. I see what I think I'm looking for. But, don't know where to find it to open it? If that makes sense? In the list that it showing me. I see something titled usb- driver. So, I am thinking those are my files I'm in search for? 

So, that brings me to my next question? If I download the File Manager HD and the files are already somewhere. Will I now be able to access/ find them through the app? I guess is what I'm asking? Once the App is downloaded. Will it automatically obtain the files if they are there? 

Also, wanted to add. I had already checked out the how to connect a USB OTG cable to tablet. That part was a success. Gives me a little icon in upper left corner showing USB connected. I also know the drive works. I'm able to use it on my computer at work. The thing that makes me think that the files are there is. When I installed the flash drive on the computer at work. It showed where it is using 9.23MB storage. The file I was talking about in my Misc folder shows the same amount of storage being used? 

Ok, I think that covers everything for now. I'm going to download the File Manager HD and see where that gets me. 

Thanks again for all your help so far. 

Preparing for the worst. But, hoping for the best. 

Sherri

HP Recommended

Good news and Bad news. Downloading the File Manager HD was a success in finding the files. Unfortunately when I open them. They are in read-only. I need to be able to access them to where I can add text. 

Any helpful suggestions for this latest dilema? 

Not giving up, quite yet. 

Thanks, Sherri

HP Recommended

@Sherri7397

You've done a remarkable job performing the steps suggested earlier, great work 🙂 

And don't worry, as we should be able to fix this up with a few more steps and I'll be with you until we ensure this issue is fixed.

I wouldn't call this a dilemma considering the progress we've made,

That said, you may need to copy those files into the internal storage using the same file manager HD and then attempt editing,

Also, make sure the files saved aren't locked or encrypted before they were saved into the pen drive.

Keep me posted,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I will give that a try and see where it gets me. You talk about making sure the files saved aren't locked or encrypted? How do I know for sure, if that's the case.

My thoughts are. That they are not locked or encrypted. Seeing as how I can add text to them from the computer at work. But, me not quite sure about what that even means? I could be completely wrong?

Sherri
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.