Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have owned an Elitebook 840 G3 for a few months. I upgraded the RAM and added an SSD, and thst same week my laptop started powering off at random. It can be tasking, playing a video, downloading or just sitting there and it will power off. Sometimes 5 minutes between occurrences, sometimes 2 hours. All of my drivers were up to date and after spending hours on the phone to tech support I sent it in for service. The techs at HP changed the main board (according to the work order) and switched my after market RAM chip to a matching factory Samsung SODIMM. I got the machine back and that same day it started doing it all over again. I am at a complete loss. This machine is the THIRD faulty laptop that HP has done a factory replacement for me and whike I commebd their customer service for doing so, what venefit to me is there if they replace a brick with 500 more bricks? I need a working machine! So now because this unit is already a brand new warranty replacement, they voided the warranty after makibg the exception that was that one service visit. I will cobtact them , as it is getting worse now, and lobby them to honour at least their 90 warranty on service.
In the meantime, Im trying to wtch a half hour video or make a Skyoe call and my machine has shut off without warning twice. Im enraged.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

i would remove the SSD you added and see if the problems persist

the elitebook 840 g3 is an enterprise workhorse used by many, many, very large global corporations by the thousands, and we have not seen that behavior in a general case.

you do not mention which operation system you have installed, and if the problem happened prior to your upgrading the memory and adding an SSD

you can also try installing the original operating system and see if the problem also happens with that OS

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Thanks Dan. but I'm not entirely sure what kind of a solution is "remove the SSD" and "Reinstall the operating system that came with it " .

First off why wouldn't I want an SSD instead of the HDD that came with it?  Plus . HP market thier machines with M.2, so what's the point of telling me that I can solve my problem is I just don't upgrade the maching to it's advertised specs?

I'm running Windows 10, but it came with 8.1 installed. All the patches and fixes for Win 10 have been added and are up to date, so why would I reverse upgrade the OS ?

So, thanks, but no thanks.  I cant really see what help "downgrade your machines hardware, and software, and it won't turn itself off at random" is .

I can tell you work for HP, to be honest.

HP Recommended

I understand you frustration but Dan is offering suggestion as to how to troubleshoot your issues.  A good way to troubleshoot hardware issues is to restore the unit to a previous known good working environment.  If you restore the system to a previous know working configuration and then add new additions to your system one at a time you might be able to determine what is causing your issues. 

You can also contact HP Technical Support via Online Chat or call 8003345144 for Technical Support

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/business-support.html

Joel

I am an HP Employee.

If you like my post, click the thumbs up.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.