Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteBook 725 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My notebook is one of the first to come out of the assembly line and came with firmware 1.02.

There's 1.08 BIOS that came out, so I tried to update it from Windows 7.  It took a long time, but it completed and the tool said to reboot.  That's all it said as far as I remember.

Upon reboot, it started to give beep code.  I don't remember which it was, but it was something like 1-long 2-short or 2-long 2-short.  It kept at it for a while and I got tired of it, so I pressed and held the power button to kill it and then restarted it.

This time, it got into BIOS, which said it was updating USB Type-C Controller Firmware from v12 to v13.  This FAILED and gave me the option to "reboot and try again."  I picked that, but it never retried.

I didn't feel comfortable with this, so I flashed 1.08 BIOS again, this time from within the BIOS using a USB-stick (\Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\New\N73_0108.bin).  It went through much quicker than in Windows and at the end, it actually warned me that the machine may beep for a while after reboot.  Umm, thanks for the warning, now that it's too late.  Why didn't Windows update program give me the same helpful warning?

Anyway, the machine rebooted, but it did nothing to try to update USB Type-C Controller Firmware.  I'm guessing it set a flag somewhere saying we're already at 1.08 so there's nothing new to do.

When BIOS configuration is dumped using BiosConfigUtility.exe, it shows USB Type-C Controller Firmware to be still 00.12.

So how do I get it to update to 00.13?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I have an open case with HP for this issue. They have reproduced the issue in their lab and are working on developing a solution. I  put the URL of your forum post in one of my case log updates so they were aware that other people were seeing this issue.  Just waiting for a solution now.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Update (from local USB flash drive - \Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\New\) went well.  My hacked E-Label with a huge "HP SUCKS" written in the bottom half of the screen survived, too.

Wow, that's a lot of fixes.  "Fixes an issue which causes the system battery to shut down unexpectedly."  System battery shuts down?  What the heck does that even mean?  Hopefully it also fixes the problem of the machine draining around 6% of battery power each day, while completely off.

HP Recommended

Y

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.