Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 9470m
Linux

Hi 

I own a Elitbook Folio 9470m and a 2013 Ultraslim Docking Station.

On the Elitebook I run Linux (Mint 18).

The Dockingstatioin never showed the BIOS/UEFI output on the Screen. (Screen stays black until OS loads. I found an article saying this is a known problem for some Notebooks and the solution is to update the BIOS. I am already on the newest BIOS-version and the Problem Persists. This is ther article I found: http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5450893&docLocale=de_DE&docId=emr_na-c05... but it does not mention the Folio 9470m as a model that suffers this problem)

Since I use a Harddrive Password this is annoying, because I have to type the password without corresponding screen output and cannot enter the UEFI while the Laptop is docked.

I recently found out that there is an update for the Dockingstations Displayport HUB which I guess could fix my Problem. ( found here: http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5275307&swItemId=ob_147496_1&swEnvOid=415... )

Sadly this Update is only provided as an EXE file, which I cannot run on Linux (I really don't want to try a Hardware firmwareupdate over WINE).

For Bios updates for example there are other ways to perform these under linux, as for example to create a USB stick over which the Update can be done. 

Is there a Way to update the Firmware of my Dockingstation running Linux? (Other than installing Windows on my Elitebook just to perform the update, which I will not do...)

Best regards

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Or can this be done via a virtual machine?

Best regards

HP Recommended

I see two possible options for you:

1. Remove your drive,  install a temporary drive, load a version of windows, and run the dock firmware update from this installation.
  2. Create a winPE USB and run the dock firmware from winPE.

In either case, make sure that you have the notebook docked, and a monitor plugged into the dock via DisplayPort.

I work for HP.

***If my post helped, click the purple thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.