Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hi community

i recently got a Elitebook x360. because of security policies McAfee Drive Encryption needs to be installed (company policy).

however, the issue is, when i put in my credentials in McAfee and try to log in the screen turns black and Windows doesn't boot up. it just stays black. the notebook is still running, but that's it.

i've turned of Fast Boot in BIOS, i just updated BIOS today with the last v. 1.06

i've also been in contact with HP support, unfortunatley the just pointed to the BIOS update and closed the ticket.

i've been browsing trough the McAfee KB looking for same issues but could not find any related to that.

is anyone out there running the Elitebook x360 with McAfee Drive Encryption successfully or had the same issue with other devices and maybe some ideas?

thanks

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @Elm0

Welcome to the HP Support forum.

The issue you now have is probably caused because McAfee's PreBoot File System (PBFS) got corrupted. PBFS is stored on the HDD's Master Boot Record (MBR). This happens often with McAfee.

Some general tips you need to follow with regards to McAfee DE and Windows:

- Windows 10 needs to be deployed with Secure Boot OFF and Legacy mode ON - settings in the BIOS

- Ensure BIOS is updated to the latest version

Ensure McAfee DE is the latest version installed to support latest Win 10 features.

You need to contact your security administrator(s) and work with them to perform Emergency Boot > https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB71868

Emergency boot is performed using XML file from the McAfee's ePO console and using DETech disc.

Emergency boot basically places Windows MBR, boots to Windows desktop. McAfee Agent communicates with the ePO, notifies the ePO about the Windows MBR , not McAfee MBR and eventually replaces and repairs the boot data/PBFS/MBR

If Emergency boot does not work, PC needs to be reimaged.

For further steps, get in touch with the company's security admins, disable McAfee PBA screen or get in touch with McAfee Technical support > https://support.mcafee.com/ServicePortal/faces/wcnav_defaultSelection?_afrLoop=1571452459502000&_afr...

If your company policy requires PBA screen (preboot authentication) but McAfee PBA is set to disabled by policy, you can enable BIOS start up password for enhanced security.

Hope this answers your queries

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

thanks @

i will pass this to the admin and see what he will get back to me with.

i will report here again

BR,

E.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.