Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

No. I tried their elite support phone number and had to hang up before I got anywhere.. unfortunately I'm too busy right now and am just putting up with the problems.

HP Recommended

USB ports on dock have been pretty unreliable thus far.

I'm still running Bios 1.08 for now.

Just installed AS Media eXtensible Host Controller Driver version 1.16.35.1 Revision C. (Hiding in the revision history.)

Going to give this a shot for a few days and see if things improve... I was able to log in without plugging the keyboard directly into the computer, so I'm hopeful!

HP Recommended

Exactly the same problem here.

Other colleagues having the same laptop don't experience the problem.

HP Recommended

Hi Stuart,

I think I have a partial solution! Have you been following the mega thread on USB ports? Please see iMaxx's posts on this thread: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/HP-Zbook-Thunderbolt-3-Dock-USB-ports-not-working/td...

Long story short - on the Studio, BIOS 1.12 and above eliminate the USB issue (I can personally confirm this with my office's zbooks). Might as well go with 1.13 which is what iMaxx links there. Also install the ASMedia firmware mentioned on that page - it's not the same as the eXtensible host controller driver. I'd also make sure your Nvidia and Intel drivers are updated to the version he states (and don't grab newer version's from Nvidia's site like I did!). These fixes combined have fixed USB and docking issues completely. We can undock, redock and our DP monitor immediately reconnects for once.

Now the bad part - still doesn't fix the oscillating fans. But huge improvements otherwise.

HP Recommended

My colleages that don't have the fan issue, are on BIOS version 1.03

HP Recommended

Did any of you find a solution for continuously fluctuating fan speed? I can't find any solution on this forum that works for me. Furthermore I have a new machine running windows 10 so I can't downgrade the bios below 01.07

HP Recommended

Did any of you find a solution for continuously fluctuating fan speed? I can't find any solution on this forum that works for me. Furthermore I have a new machine running windows 10 so I can't downgrade the bios below version 01.07

(another message including the changes of the last one)

Besides, upgrading to the newest bios of August 5. or any other available update didn't work either

HP Recommended

Same fan issue here.  I found a solution:

Advanced Power Settings - Processor Power Management

Reducing Maximum processor state to less than 100% (I tried 95%) significantly reduced the fan noise.

Switching System cooling policy from Active to Passive -I'm not sure how much this helps.

Play around, I think you'll find relief.

power-options.jpg

HP Recommended

I had this issue too. Updated the BIOS to 1.12 version. Things get better. It's not silent, but much less noisy.

HP Recommended

None of the suggestions worked for me. I think the only solution would be a BIOS fix.
The fluctuating noise of the fan is really annoying; I'd rather have the fan make a loud noise then this soft whining noise.

Anyone has any updates on this?

--Dion

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.