Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

@PatricB wrote:
Bluetooth working randomly, HDMI working randomly, have had 5 "blue screens" in 2 weeks.
HP support has replaced the mother board twice...

Woow

And now (after replace) everything work fine ? You have windows 10 ?

asking because want to upgrade my old HP to this model, choosing between Dell and this HP, and HP looks like best choise.

but never hear about bluetooth and hdmi problems, only fans (fixed now, as I see)

Old EliteBook 8540w is the best I ever have 🙂 Many years of uptime, very stable. Need a worthy replacement.

HP Recommended

I've been presenting all day today and the presentation started with me struggling to get the bluetooth mouse connected after it's been turned off. Later on, after a break, I couldn't get duplicated screens. It was only showing the secondary screen. Had to disconnect and connect a couple of times...but eventually I fixed it. This happened after every break longer than 5 min. So... You may guess what I think of this product. Next time I´m thinking dell. I have had 4 different elite books since 2008 and every single one of them have had malfunctioning fans in some way.

But I actually think my fan is ok now. I followed another users advise and made a small change in BIOS and now it´s kind if quiet :Surprise: :OpenSmile:

Just like you I have an EB 8540W that is still going strong (after 1 replaced mother board and fan replacement twice).

I've been using windows 10 on that one for a year and it's way more stable than the Zbook. No problems at all on that one :generic:

HP Recommended

To all who updated to, or using, Windows 10, the latest update, 1607, brings a new set of challenges, many of them documented on the Internet. In many cases, things that worked before, not have issues, like certain drivers for audio and others. I would recommend that all users make sure their devices are up to date, which can certainly help

i suggest HP Image Assistant (www.hp.com/go/clientmanagement) as a quick tool that can show what is up to date and what needs updated, and does not require installation

If after comfirming all your components are up to date, you are sttil having issues, please report back, or open a new Forum entry for help and assistance

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

@soccer_dan wrote:

To all who updated to, or using, Windows 10, the latest update, 1607, brings a new set of challenges, many of them documented on the Internet. In many cases, things that worked before, not have issues, like certain drivers for audio and others. I would recommend that all users make sure their devices are up to date, which can certainly help

i suggest HP Image Assistant (www.hp.com/go/clientmanagement) as a quick tool that can show what is up to date and what needs updated, and does not require installation

If after comfirming all your components are up to date, you are sttil having issues, please report back, or open a new Forum entry for help and assistance

How about windows 7 ? Is this computer works stable under win 7 or have some knows issues ?

HP Recommended

@PatricB wrote:

I've been presenting all day today and the presentation started with me struggling to get the bluetooth mouse connected after it's been turned off. Later on, after a break, I couldn't get duplicated screens. It was only showing the secondary screen. Had to disconnect and connect a couple of times...but eventually I fixed it. This happened after every break longer than 5 min. So... You may guess what I think of this product. Next time I´m thinking dell. I have had 4 different elite books since 2008 and every single one of them have had malfunctioning fans in some way.

But I actually think my fan is ok now. I followed another users advise and made a small change in BIOS and now it´s kind if quiet :Surprise: :OpenSmile:

Just like you I have an EB 8540W that is still going strong (after 1 replaced mother board and fan replacement twice).

I've been using windows 10 on that one for a year and it's way more stable than the Zbook. No problems at all on that one :generic:

Now I'm really confused 🙂

But the main question, do you have any blue screens now ? (after motherboard replace or last software/bios update)

Only this have great importance for me

HP Recommended

No blue screens after the update :generic:

HP Recommended

My new ZBook Studio resets by pressing the bottom cover (exactly under the right SHIFT key).  This is really bad because I have my fingers in that area when I carry the laptop. The reset is caused by the power interruption between battery and mainboard - this is what the display message tells afterwards. If I see a pictute of the opened bottom cover in the internet, I can see the main power connector there. I have not opened mine yet.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/_processed_/csm_DSC01804_a2d41d36cb.jpg

Han anyone else met this behaviour?

HP Recommended

I tried to reproduce, but my machine is not doing this.

HP Recommended

Sorry Dawton, I don't have this issue.

I installed the BIOS 1.15 update. It indeed fixes the fluctuating fan issue (thanks for that HP), but left the fan still overactive. Then I also ticked the "fan always on when on AC power" checkbox and that, counter-intuitive as it sounds, reduced the noise further. The fans are now often quiet, though still jumping in too early (at core temperatures as low as 30 'C).

HP Recommended

@RBolt  & Arxibald: Thank you for testing! Finally I opened the bottom cover and found out that the problem occurs when I slightly press the WiFi card - this is the exact place where my fingers press the bottom case when carrying the laptop. There was no issue with the battery connector as I expected first. Looks like the problem is unique to my device.

But anyway, I'm surprised that the bottom cover develops pressure on the WiFi card and so on the mainboard too when I just carry the laptop! What is the HP hardware architect's opinion on this problem? 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.