Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hey guys,

We are aware of this issue and it is being worked by R&D to see what the cause is.
I have not seen this issue in my lab yet, but we are working on reproductino aling side them.

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
HP Recommended

Thanks Scott Zbook - your method worked for me after flailing unsuccessfully for a couple of hours -- my problem was no audio. I finally got it so fubar ( Conexant sound card was no longer recognized by the system) that I did a system restore to undo it all, then your method. Now all ports and headphone jack are working, at least for now.  I have a ZBook 15 G3, and a TB ZDock 200w. 

BTW, the current BIOS is 1.06, and the current ASMedia driver is 75871. The TB Secure Connection driver installs weirdly -- was never sure if it actually installed, so I uninstalled/reinstalled from inside the setup files. Maybe didn't need to do that, though. There are two versions of the TB Firmware updater - 74906 is specifically for Zbook 15 G3's so I used that one.

HP Recommended

I have an issue with the Dock not beeing recognized at all anymore. It just powers the Laptop, but all connected devices do not function anymore.I have just updated all necessary software and the Bios, but it is still not working.

HP Recommended

I am also having an issue with a zBook 15 G3 and the 150w Thunderbolt 3 dock.  I can get it to work, but when I reboot, the USB portion of the dock does not work, but the video, power, and ethernet do work.  When I shut doen after the reboot, I get a BSOD with a stop of 9F.

I found that if I boot up with the Thunderbolt 3 Dock disconnected, it will work work once I connect it.  I boot up with it connected, the USB ports will not work (this also includes the audio since it used a USB interface to connect the audio port).  This option is not a acceptable solution for our users though.

Here is how I have the laptop configured and loaded:

In the BIOS, the advanced/port options is set to No Security

The BIOS is 1.06 Rev A (SP76037)

The Thunderbolt Firmware is 16.1.7.0.6 (applied with SP74935)

Intel Thunderbolt Secure Connect 15.3.39.250 (SP74783)

ASMedia eXtensible Host Conrtoller (xHCI) driver 1.16.33.1 (SP75871)

Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver 4.0.4.51 (SP74851)

Conexant USB Audio Driver for Docks 1.31.36.14 (SP74876)

I do have a HP support case in for this, but am tring to find out if a resolution has been found already.

HP Recommended

We have a fleet of these Zbook's with docks and have the same issue. We also have a support case open which has been escalated, and the response so far by upper level is just to ensure the latest thunderbolt drivers, firmware and all other latest drivers are installed (which they are).

I have found that the 1.08 BIOS for the Zbook has certainly improved the stability of the dock working but it's not 100%.

I have also found that turning the laptop on first and then plugging in the dock usually works best. Not the best solution in a business environment but am hoping the R&D team are working on this problem that we all have. 

HP Recommended
I too have a support case open but they're going to replace the dock which I think is a complete waste of time. I've also found that doing a restart without the dock connected and then connecting it seems to make the screens stop turning off and on every 2 minutes. However I've noticed that if I plug a mouse and keyboard into the dock, both with freeze up for 1/2 a second about every 20 minutes. If I'm pressing a key on the keyboard when this happens I end up with that key repeated for about 8 ~ 10 characters.

There's clearly a software issue here and I don't know why HP think replacing the dock will help. Oh and they don't have any docks in stock so I have to wait till 15th June for a replacement only to find out that it doesn't work. Grrrrrr.
HP Recommended

I reloaded my zBook 15 G3 with Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit in UEFI mode instead of legacy BIOS mode.  After installing all the Windows 7 updates and the HP drivers, the Thunderbolt 3 dock appears to be working as expected.  The USB ports work and continue to work after being rebooted.

To make sure it wasn't a change I made in the BIOS setting, I put the Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit Legacy BIOS install drive back in the laptop and it has problems.

I do not know if this will help resolve the issue of the USB drives not working and the computer getting a BSOD when shutting down. 

HP Recommended

Please rest assured that as  frustrating as the issues experienced with the dock have been, we are working diligently to get them fixed.

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
HP Recommended

Thanks iMaxx, we appreciate the update

HP Recommended

I have the same issue as VoltMaster with regards to keyboard and mouse. Every few minutes, they freeze for a second or so. Sometimes the keyboard gets stuck on a key as a result of this.

Also, although I'm on BIOS 1.08, I haven't been able to update the Thunderbolt firmware (still on NVM 14), either via the command prompt or the GUI updater. Both say "not found" even though I've been trying to install while actually connected to the dock. The Thunderbolt software program does indeed show the HP dock in Port 2, so I'm not sure why the firmware adapter does not recognize it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.