Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

2. As far as LAN/WLAN switching. This feature (i use it and love it myself) only works in Windows 7. With Windows 8 and newer OSs, like 10, MIcrosoft does not allow the BIOS from manipulating and hardware component once Windows is up. The goal is to help secure the devices, and allowing anything but the OS to directly access hardware may pose security risks. Now, in Windows 10, the OS is supposed to release the IP of the wlan card within (i think) 30 seconds or so if a LAN is detected. So, the issue of obtainting and keeping multiple IP addresses on a system should not be a major problem

Hope this helps 

And if you get the same behavior in Windows 7 Ent 64?

HP Recommended

It does not matter which version of Windows 7 is being used. Since the BIOS manages the wlan antennas, it will work with any version of Windows 7, including Enterprise

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Installing the HP hotkey support brought it up normally.  Lan/wan switching is working normally and the wireless button is now functional.  So it appears this is a windows issue rather than a bios issue, at least with this particular machine.

HP Recommended

Install Hotkey Driver.

HP Recommended

Hi All,

I am having issues with the LAN\WLAN switching on the HP 820, 840 and Folio 1040 G3 notebooks. We were using the G2 versions of these notebooks and deploying a Windows 7 image using SCCM 2007 R3 with no issues. LAN\WLAN switching worked well.

With the G3 versions all drivers get installed and function ok with SCCM 2007 R3 however, the LAN\WLAN switching does not work when enabled in the BIOS. The wireless hotkey seems to only disable the bluetooth. The audio hotkey functions fine. I have tried installing the latest bluetooth drivers from Intel but the effect is the same. I have also installed the WLAN and LAN drivers too and the same result. However, if I try to install the hotkey support package seperately this does not install and it comes up with the message 'Package not supported on OS'  when being installed. 

Can anyone help? I have logged cases with HP as well for all 3 but they have not had any success with this yet.

HP Recommended

How are you installing the Hotkeys softpaq? if you look at the CVA file associated with the softpaq, you can see the install instructions 

[Install Execution]
Install="Setup.exe"
SilentInstall="setup.exe" /s /v"/qn /lv %TEMP%\Hotkey_setup.log REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS"

of course, you can try installing the softpaq directly from the web or with SDM

I assume you are still trying to install Windows 7, correct?

HP Recommended

Hey Dan,

The OS is Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. At the moment I am just trying to install the hotkey with the exe downloaded from the HP website and NOT through SCCM. This was to troubleshoot first. However, I could not progress further due to the error I was getting.

HP Recommended

hard to tell what might be your problem with the Hotkeys install, but i would then suggest you use SDM for any needed updates, including the Hotekys

I recommend the use of HP SDM ( Softpaq Download manager - www.hp.com/go/sdm ) to update the system. When it runs and downloads the latest catalog,

* select 'check for updates' tab - if not the default when you run SDM
   * install auto-checkmarked drivers, NOT the BIOS, at this point
      it may occasioanly suggest 2 versions of dirvers - select the latest one only
   * install any other (ONLY) drivers that show as Not Installed + Essential System Updates softpaq
   * select BIOS update (if needed) by itself and Install
      DO NOT SHUTDOWN if the laptop beeps a few times during the BIOS update !!! Let it continue
   * Reboot

HP Recommended

No success. Used SDM to update the following,

BIOS

Hotkey Support (installed successfully according to SDM)

Essential Windows 7 updates

Connection Manager

HP Recommended

OK, then... go ahead and reset the BIOS to defaults. i know the feature works with many users... but only Windows 7. The feature is not supported on Windows 10 -- it manages hardware devices, so the BIOS can not

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.