Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi, 

How do I use a shortcut to change the light intensity on my screen? 

I just got a HP EliteBook 840 G3 14" :generic:

For volume/sound its fn+f8/f9 but i cant seem to make that work for the light? (f5/f6) Is there a setting somewhere?? 

Idealy I would love to not have to press function first. Simply have the settings as a mac - straight pressing f8/f9 you are adjusting the volume and pressing f5/f6 you are adjusting the light strenght on your screen,, Is it possible, is there settings for this? 

Thank you for any advice :))

Br, 

C

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello Mini404470

If you are using Windows 10 and the Screen Brightness buttons are not functioning, it might be a driver update needed.

HP Hotkey Support

As for disabling the Fn key, that would be done in the Bios if its available.

I don't have an Elitebook so Im shooting in the dark here.

According to the Bios Manual, it might be located under Advanced>System Options.

In Consumer type notebooks, its under System Configuration>Action keys.

If its not there, your setup might not have the option to turn that key off.

HP Recommended

OK, thank you very much for your reply 🙂 

HP Recommended

Hi Mini, congrats with your laptop, hope it is working well.

I have to ask, because my 840 G3 has problems with brightness regulation, is your one working correctly?

Which screen do you have? (The basic one, full hd, or QHD IPS display?) 

The brightness sometimes  suddenly changes on my one. Does your laptop ever do this?

Thanks.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.