Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Zbook 15 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Has anyone got LAN/WLAN switching to work with Zbook G3? I know it doesn't work with the thunderbolt dock.

There is a setting for it in BIOS so it should work then the network cable is connected directly to to the computer.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

you are correct. the lan/wlan bios switch setting is designed (window s7 only) to recognize when a network cable is inserted or removed from the ethernet jack and disable or enable the wireless antennas automatically. unfortunately, the bios is not aware - thru the TB dock usb-c connection - when ethernet is available on the dock. there are no usb-c/tb code in the bios to support that feature

as fyi, this feature no longer works with windows 10 as the bios is not allowed to manipulate h/w devices - e.g. antennas. only windows can manage that

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Basically the LAN/WAN switch should be enabled in F10 Setup. Windows 7 requires to install HP Hotkey software.

• Windows 10 + ZBook G3 : No problem with BIOS setting
  • Windows 10 + ZBook G3 + ZBook Thunderbolt Dock:  No problem with BIOS setting
  • Windows 7 + ZBook G3: No problem with  BIOS setting +  HP Hotkey software
  • Windows 7  + ZBook G3 + ZBook Thunderbolt Dock: Will not work due to Windows 7 OS limitation.

I work for HP. All opinions and comments are my own.

HP Recommended

We need this to work on Windows 7.

WLAN switching does work for all previous Zbook models so it cannot be a limitation in Windows 7.

HP Recommended

Sorry for the thread necro, but this has caused my group a fair bit of aggravation and I wanted to share a potential fix.

After my company was having issues with the thunderbolt docks in our primarily Windows 7 environment (Windows 10 will be rolled out later), we decided to try a few test setups for troubleshooting.

One of the tests was to use a third party thunderbolt 3 dock (Startech dual 4k monitor model in this case)+ a power cable (the HP thunderbolt dock combines both of these). As the Zbook uses more than 100 W of power (the limitation of Thunderbolt) the idea was to separate power as a possible problem.

While we haven't tested this dock for very long (so we can't confirm if it has fixed our other woes yet), one happy side effect that I noted was that LAN/WAN switching *IS* working.

The downfall of this method is now the user has to plug in 2 cables instead of 1 (power and Thunderbolt).

Edit 7/16, 2018

-Startech dock is working fine still but still having issues with HP Thunderbolt docks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.