Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp 840 g2
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

When I use headphones, connected to the standard audio-in, the audio quality is really poor: a lot of noise (white noise).

Is this a common problem?

I already updated the drivers and bios to the latest version.

I use the standard iphone headphones, which works well connected to my iphone.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I've very similar issue but seems to be true only when G2 is in dock station.

When I plug-in my external speakers to jack audio port in G2 when it's not docked - everything is OK, good quality sound, without any noise. When I only dock G2 to UltraSlim 2013 dock station - then annoying white noise comes from external speakers along to music (still plugged to G2, not to dock - but dock jack behave the same way), and internal noise when there is no music (you can hear noise even if you scroll mouse). Also Mute button not alway work as Mute, sometimes only decreases sound level but no to 0.

It's 100% related to Realtek sound card, when I try to use external USB sound card everything works perfectly.

I've try few drivers version - always the same result. Windows 7 64 bit.

----------------

EDIT:

Ok, now this issue is alway - not only when laptop is docked - always when I use external speakers or headphones.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I had the same problem..

and I can't believe Realtek actually fixed the trash jack sound with the latest driver, after like more than 1 year:

version  6.0.1.7960 (or later)

Uninstall Intel Management and Security if you don't need it, as it interferes.

Install new driver. Then set audio to 24 bit in audio, advanced settings.

Also update to the latest version of Intel Wireless driver, from their website.

Hope this helps.

Note: it doesn't remove the static noise completely [because of bad isolation/design], but greatly reduce it.

HP Recommended

Hello, i'm in same situation.

@Raviks,

could You tell me how did you fix this problem?

Thank You

L.

HP Recommended

Hi Luc, 

Unfortunately I did't fix problem. 

My workaround external USB sound card (good old Creative X-Fi Xmod) and in addition headphones also with it's own USB sound card (Sennheiser) for communication. 

Seems that EliteBook is elite only by it's name - don't go that way HP.

HP Recommended

@Raviks: i have tested couple 840 and 820 G2s and it's all the same, same noise. It seems that's related

to Realtek codec.  I tested on win7, win10, linux with different versions of drivers, different settings like muted line-in, mic, stereo-mix, changed quality, disabled software enhancements - nothing helped.

I have also tested 840G1s and G3s, which haven't this problem. But they have IDT codec. All tests was performed with same headphones.

I don't know what is wrong exactly, or if it could be fixed by HP.  Are there any techies from HP on this forum?

Thanks all

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.