Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 6200 Pro SFF
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I don't know what my users are doing to my machines, but I have been receiving computers (mostly 6200/6300 Pro SFF's) that I cannot open because the release latch for the side panel is jammed. When I pull on the the latch, the back of the chassis bends inward and the latch will not release. Does anyone have any tips on how to unjam these?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The best answer I got from another forum is to pull back on the main part of the case (needlenose pliers hooked into the locking ring got me the best results) while simultaneously lifting the release handle on the side panel. Not 100% effective, but it did unlock about 90% of my problem machines.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Dear Customer,

Welcome and Thank You for posting your query on HP Support Forum

Please follow the below shown procedure:

Access panel removal

Note: The chassis and internal components of this computer are similar to the HP Compaq 6000 Pro SFF Business PC and the HP Z210 SFF Workstation. Removal & replacement procedures are the same. The HP Z210 SFF Workstation is shown here.

1. Pull up and hold the access panel release latch.

2. Rotate the panel up and lift it away from the chassis.

Access panel replacement

1. Slide the lip on the front end of the access panel under the lip on the front chassis guide rail.

2. Lower the back end of the panel until it contacts the chassis.

3. Press down on the access panel until it locks into place.

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,
K N R K
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thank you for the generic reply that completely ignores my problem. Reading the entire post instead of glancing at keywords may enable you to be more helpful in the future.

HP Recommended

Having the same trouble myself right now.  I got one of these about a month ago and I must of killed about an hour getting it open and once I did it seemed to cooperate afterwards and now I have another one and can't for the life of me remember what I did to get the last one "unjammed".

HP Recommended

The best answer I got from another forum is to pull back on the main part of the case (needlenose pliers hooked into the locking ring got me the best results) while simultaneously lifting the release handle on the side panel. Not 100% effective, but it did unlock about 90% of my problem machines.

HP Recommended

Cool, thanks for the tip.  After being seriously annoyed I managed to unscrew the four screws that hold the latch which did the trick but your solution sounds much less cumbersome, will try it the next time.

HP Recommended

I just purchased a refurbished HP Compaq 6000 pro SFF and ran into the same issue trying to remove the access panel. When I pulled on the latch, the back part of the chassis with the I/O ports (and plenty of holes for ventilation) would simply flex inward.

Here's what I did to open my HP Compaq 6000 pro SFF:

1. To bring the part of the chassis that was flexing inward closer to the access panel, I inserted a screwdriver into the padlock ring.

2. Keeping the screwdriver in the padlock ring, I used another screwdriver to put a screw into the screw hole in the access panel just behind the latch.

3. The back part of the chassis that was flexing and the access panel were now close enough for the latch to work, and the latched snapped open when I pulled on it fully.

4. While still holding the latch, I removed the screw from the screw hole and the screwdriver from the pad lock ring, then I lifted up on the access panel and voila, it opened.

Hope this helps!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.