Question
Highlighted
Honor Student
Message 1 of 3 (553 Views)

HP VECTRA VL 420 MT

Hi,

i have an old Vectra VL420 Mt and on the past November it has failed on boot.
The first symptom was a problem with the graphic windows, where in the windows had disappeared the three icons in the upper right: closing, minimizing, icons magnification. So there were some lines that are not defined on the monitor. Then the next boot was interrupted.
I have checked in the "beep error codes" and my case is "Number of beeps emitted: 0 - without 'buzz' audio signal"; after the control of all cables correctly plugged i have thought that is the mainboard to by replace.
In details the problem is the follow:
- pressing the power button no audio signal e no drive detected (floppy drive, cd-rom drive, cd-burner drive, hard disk 

drive) only light up the cooling fan (processor and case's fans) and the green LEDs on the PCI bus.

Black screen.
- pressing the power button more than 5 seconds, there is the buzz initial sequence and after no beep code, "0 beep".
- disconnecting the 2 data cables of cd drive and pressing the power button the drive were detected (excepted floppy

drive and hard drive) but no video signal with black screen.

I have checked the level of tension on power plug of the floppy drive and are present +5V and +12V but this drive are

not detected. I have changed with another floppy drive (properly functioning) but there is  the same problem.
- i have changed the mainboard with another used, but remaining the same problem.
- Also after disconnecting (in succession) the video card, or the RAM, or all the disco drive remaining the problem.
- I have 2 other pc Vectra VL420 functioning properly and I would be tempted to try to disconnect / connect the

individual components but I'm afraid I do on these problems, so avoid it.

What could be the cause of the problem?

Best regards.

Intern
Message 2 of 3 (463 Views)

Re: HP VECTRA VL 420 MT

Hi, take a look at our step-by-step guide to troubleshooting startup problems:

Resolving Startup Problems

Hopefully this will help solve your problem, or at least get you pointed in the right direction to isolate the problem.

I work for HP.
Tutor
Message 3 of 3 (312 Views)

Re: HP VECTRA VL 420 MT

Ever tried replacing RAMS with newer ones?

If you refer to my post HP BRIO 8032 problems you see I had a pretty funny behaviour of my HP PC due to defective memory dimms.

The story sounded like yours.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation