Question

Highlighted
Tutor
Message 1 of 3 (305 Views)

HP Z800 RAM - single rank versus dual rank?

(Cross-posted from the Desktops forum on an Expert's recommendation)

Hello,

I have an HP Z800 workstation with 16Gb ram, and I want to up that to 48Gb.

This helpful document on the HP site - HP Z800 Memory Configuration and Optimization -  states:

* The HP Z800 supports Unbuffered 1GB single rank and 2GB dual rank PC3-10600E 1333MHZ ECC DIMMs
* The HP Z800 supports Registered 4GB and 8GB dual rank PC3-10600R and PC3-10600P 1333MHz DIMMs

But the data sheet

( http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/file/product/ds_ddr3_2gb_d-die_based_1_35v_rdim... )

for the currently installed  RAM  - (four times 4Gb sticks, Samsung Part # m393B5270dh0-yh9) , says this is 4Gb single-rank -

What I understand from some reading is that single-rank might have some small latency advantage due to the lack of the ranking buffer.  And apparently the Z800 can support it since that's what's in there - it doesn't have to be dual rank as the HP doc says. (Or maybe saying it supportds dual rank implies it can also support single-rank?)

So - I'm shopping for additional 4Gb sticks - I know I should not mix single and dual rank.

I can find dual-rank sticks cheaper than single rank.  Tossing the existing sticks and buying 12 new dual-rank would actually be cheaper than adding 8 new single-rank.  But is there a performance advantage of the single-rank?

Do I ditch the existing and get all new double-rank 'cause it's cheaper and performs just as well, or do I shop for new single-rank and pay the premium 'cause it performs so much better?

Thanks.

Tutor
Message 2 of 3 (286 Views)

Re: HP Z800 RAM - single rank versus dual rank?

After more reading maybe I have it backwards - is dual rank actually better for this machine?

Tutor
Message 3 of 3 (267 Views)

Re: HP Z800 RAM - single rank versus dual rank?

In the meantime - I've found the exact same sticks as already in the achine - Samsung Part # m393B5270dh0-yh9 - at a good price - better than the dual-rank.  So now I'm hoping the single-rank is actually better - or at least close to equivalent - in terms of performance.  If it matters, the Z800 is being used for music and video editing, and I'll be going 48Gb in 12 x 4Gb.

Same part #, same Samsung sticker on the stick - just not an HP branding sticker - but I'm guessing they all just stick their stickers to the same stick from Samsung.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation