Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I've installed over 50 HP Z210 workstations at my office.  However, I have one with known bad video (it had a six-beep startup audio code), and two that I cannot diagnose.

I launch the stations, the Light on the front lights up and I can hear the fan.  No signal reaches the monitor (I've tried different monitors and replaced cables, and tried both the VGA and the graphics port connections).  After about 30 seconds of waiting for something to come up on screen and the monitor timing out and going to sleep, the fan on both computers kicks into high and you can feel a strong gust from the back and hear it running at full speed.

Unlike the one known bad unit (which I haven't had replaced yet), there are not beep codes for these two, and because the display never shows anything more than the fact that it's querying to see if there's an Analog or Digital connection before it goes back to sleep, nothing comes up on screen.

Thanks for any suggestions.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Did you add a graphics card or using onboard graphics? If you're using add-on video card, please replace it with the one in one of working systems. If you're using onboard video, please reseat the processor. If this does not work, please replace the processor with the one in one of working systems.

HP Recommended

It's the native video, I haven't added anything.

I'll will try your suggestions and let you know.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I've swapped a working processor with one on each of the two problem computers with no difference in result.  The video is onboard so there's no video card to reseat.

So, 3 failures in 50 installs... 6% of the computers I got seem to have video problems.

HP Recommended

Can you please swap the system board?

HP Recommended

Now it seems like I'm in danger of damaging the working one I have here (The others are assigned to employees).

I'll come back and post either way.

HP Recommended

Please contact HP Support it appears you needs a system board replacement.

I would hate to have another unit down.

HP Recommended

My hp is just outside of the one year warranty period and the hard drive failed, so I had to replace the hard drive and OS.  After successful completion of that, the next time I started my computer I began having the same issues you are describing above.  I troubleshooted everything I could think of mself, have searched the forums, called the Helpless People that did nothing but continuously ask me why I did not buy an extended warranty.  I even broke down and had a diagnostics run to get a second set of eyes on it.  I would really appreciate it if you would post the resolution if you found out what was actually wrong so I can see if it is something I haven't thought of yet. 

HP Recommended

To output video via the Z210 motherboard DVI or DP connector (Z210 does not have a VGA connector unless a DVI-VGA adapter is used), you need a specific Intel Xeon CPU with on-die graphics capability.

The Xeon E3-1245 or E3-1225 includes HD graphics P3000 video capabilities on-die. To use such Xeon integrated video capabilities, you must also have set BIOS <Advanced> <Device Options> <Integrated Video> to "Enabled". Further, you should also have the Intel graphic driver installed within the OS. Currently the Win7 64bit version is  8.15.10.2455 rev A and available from the HP Z210 "download drivers and software" web page.

Note that Xeon E3-1270 or E3-1220 or similar does not have on-die graphics capabilities and thus requires the monitor be plugged into a PCIe graphics card while <Integrated Video> must be set to "Disabled" within BIOS and the correct drivers loaded for the installed PCIe video card for correct video output to occur.

Failure to have an appropriate Xeon processor with on-die HD P3000 graphics capabilities when <Integrated Video> is "Enabled" in BIOS or failure to have an appropriate PCIe graphics card installed when <Integrated Video> is set to <Disabled> in BIOS will presumably result in "Pre video errors" (six beeps) at boot time.

So, what Xeon chip designation do you have in the problem machines?

Is <Integrated Video> set to "Enabled" within BIOS?

Does the CPU provide P3000 graphics (usually designation ends with 45 or 25)?

HP Recommended

This is what I suggest.  Attempt to boot the system without any memory installed.  If you do not get a 5 beep code then you most likely have a system board failure. 

If you do get a 5 beep code and you are using an additional video card.  Please remove the video card and see if the system will boot using the onboard video controller.   If the system will still not boot properly reset the CMOS.  IF you still have issue after that contact HP.

If you are still under warranty contact HP support and they will be glad to either send a system board or send an onsite tech to replace the system board for you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.