Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello

i have ( HP Compaq dc7100 SFF - Motherboard Model : HP 097Ch . 356033-002 )

HP Compaq dc7100 SFF

i update BIOS to v02.14

need upgrade CPU from ( intel Pentium 4 520 2.80GHz - Socket 775 LGA ) To ( intel core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz LGA775 ) or any Processor good for Gaming

Is this possible ?

If Motherboard does not accept this, I can change it

What is the best Motherboard for my model ( Compaq dc7100 SFF ). supports Processor good for Gaming

Please respond quickly

thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi Mister_Brooks,

In general small form factor PCs are not designed for gaming. Gaming requires a lot of processing speed, graphics capabilities, and power. Running games makes the PC work harder and this generates a lot of heat. SFF PCs don't have a lot of fans or ways to remove heat quickly from the PC. That's why this is more of a Business PC.

To make this PC better for games (and depending on the game), you may need more than just a processor upgrade.

To see what options your PC has, here are the specifications you can use to compare to any hardware you are looking to buy:

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/learnUseDisplay/?sp4ts.oid=41011...

I hope this helps. I'm sorry I don't have a good quick recommendation for you on the processor.

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Hi
I do not mean big Games
Only games simple and Computer Speed
I've upgrade the graphics card to nvidia geforce 610 GT 1GB
And I can upgrade motherboard and processor and RAM and hard disk.
i Only needed to motherboard compatible with dc7100 SFF and supports best processors so I can upgrade the processor ...
thanks.

HP Recommended

no reply O_o please help

i going to buy Intel Pentium Dual-Core Desktop Processor E6300, LGA775 CPU 2.8GHz

You would be appropriate for my computer ????

HP Recommended

Hi:

The processor yu want to buy for your dc7100 SFF will absolutely not work.

Below is the link to the quickspecs for your model. See page 5 for the list of supported processors.

Only the Pentium 4 processors listed will work and I do not recommend upgrading past the Pentium 4 650 due to the excess heat that will be generated by the higher wattage processors.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11948_div/11948_div.PDF

HP Recommended

I know that this is an old subject, and really old configuration, but I have what I think is, an easy question -

My Hp's processor is now  Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz - how big improvement would be if I put in a bit faster -  Intel Pentium 4 3.4ghz processor? is it worth of trouble to replace this processor with this one?

Thank You!

HP Recommended

Hi:

IMO, if you have the Pentium 4 530 3 GHz and you move to the Pentium 4 650 3.4 GHz you should see a decent improvement due to the 400 MHz increase in processor speed and double the L2 cache size.

Heat will increase and you need to be real good at laying down that thermal paste.

After I made the switch, my PC's fan always spun up when the processor was placed under load.

That did not happen prior to the upgrade.

That is the only heatsink you can use and it seems to be a good one based on the design.

I probably did a lousy job cleaning the heat sink/processor heat speader surfaces or did a lousy job with the thermal paste or both!

But the PC was more responsive after I upgraded the processor.

With the P4 650, you can also run a 64 bit operating system.

I had 4 GB of PC 3200 memory in my dc7100, so I had it running pretty good.

HP Recommended
Thanks a lot for a quick reply,

You really helped!

Best regards,

Jurica
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Jurica.

Please lst us know how your upgrade went if you decide to take the plunge.

Best Regards,

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, re DC7100 and overheating after CPU upgrade, can you recomend any more efficient cooling fans for the 7100?
I tried an Intel extreme fan for the 775 socket, it lights up and starts to turn then cuts out?

Thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.