Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 6 (2,017 Views)
Accepted Solution

z820 RAID configuration problem

Hello,

I have a newly unboxed z820 workstation (running BIOS 3.52). I'd like to get my RAID configuration setup, but I am having problems following the steps outlined in the Maintenance and Service guide:

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03424977-1.pdf

Specifically, under the "Configuring system BIOS" section, after confirming RAID+AHCI is set for SATA Mode and Post Messages are enabled, Step 4 then says to enable "SATA RAID Option ROM Download". There is no such item under Device Options. I do see "SAS Option ROM Download", which is already enabled.

Also, after exiting the BIOS settings, there is no CTRL+C or CTRL+I option to enter RAID settings...

I have indeed verified that there are two functioning drives on the machine...

Anyone know what's up?

Thanks,

Jake

Accepted Solution

Re: z820 RAID configuration problem

Oh, and switch to legacy everything just for testing purposes - unless you've done it already.
View solution in context
Intern
Intern
Message 2 of 6 (2,012 Views)

No Ctrl-I even after saving to RAID+AHCI and a reboot?

After a reboot, is it still RAID+AHCI?
Honor Student
Message 3 of 6 (1,973 Views)

Correct - CTRL-I does not launch the RAID Utility app. CTRL-I is not listed as an option (nor does pressing the key combination work). I have an older Z400 as well that is configured for RAID (where CTRL-I is listed and working), so I have some familiarity with when to expect the prompt (assuming nothing drastic has changed between these models over the past few years).

Also, the RAID+AHCI setting is persisting across reboots on this newer Z820 of mine.

Thanks,

Jake

Intern
Intern
Message 4 of 6 (1,969 Views)

It may also be disabled in "Boot Order" under Storage - checked there? If it's there, the next things I'd do:

- clear CMOS first, see what happens;
- then take our any PCIe devices in the system, leave only the boot drive on SATA (or SAS) 0, see if IRST prompt comes up.
- if it doesn't, it might be a good time to call HP support... :smileysad:
Intern
Intern
Message 5 of 6 (1,964 Views)

Oh, and switch to legacy everything just for testing purposes - unless you've done it already.
Highlighted
Honor Student
Message 6 of 6 (1,931 Views)

Disabling secure boot and enabling legacy boot support did the trick! Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation