Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Z1 (Gen 1)
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My Z1 has a Seagate 512 GD HDD in slot 1.

I would like to add a 512 GB SSD, perhaps Samsung or Crucial, and use the SSD for programs and keep the HDD for data.  The Z1 is used mainly for CAD work - Rhino and Autocad.

Is the do-able?  What do I need to do?

Thank you for any assistance.

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Tom,

I looked up the Z1 in more detail, and Captain above is correct (as you also saw).... that can take SATA Gen III drives.  Personally I'd go for a SATA Gen III SSD from Intel, ideally also something from Intel, from HP.  I could get you some info on that, but probably a Samsung would be fine too given the situation.

Captain does have a good point on the clone from HDD to SSD.  I don't know if the clone process adds those parts automatically to the target SSD build, but I have done that from HDD to SSD and have not noticed any issues.  About 20 of those, but those were cloned onto SATA Gen II SSDs from a SATA Gen II HDD image.

I entered that part number into Google, and then filtered by images.  Yikes.  I'd bet they're not giving those away.  I wonder if you got a large enough SSD whether you could live with just a SSD in there.....

The "Blind Mate" they refer to is the Foxconn system that allows sliding a tray/carrier containing a SSD/SSDs into a receptacle and having it line up properly (with a little bit of wiggle built in) so things mate together with perfect alignment for both SATA power and data connections.  I get it that if there is the spacing for only two 2.5" devices then you can choose to use 2 SSDs, or 2 2.5" form factor HHDs, or a boot SSD and a documents 2.5" HDD.  It is not like you can mess around with cables in there.... it is all fixed in space.  The price you pay for such a nice package, and that adapter will cost you quite a bit.

So, maybe one good sized SSD in a 3.5" adapter, in your 671193-001  is the way to go.  Here is the HP Blind Mate 2.5 to 3.5 adapter part number..... 654540-001.  It is an A+ piece of equipment and converts the 2.5" SSD into a perfect 3.5" form factor.  Here is a source from eBay which has a good number of pictures, but just search under that number and you can get them for about $10.00 including shipping, from China.  So far, no problems with buying that way.  Just takes a couple of weeks:

Click HERE.

I have bought a good number of those.... even from China (where they are made for HP).  They work very well.  They shift the connectors properly to the left, when viewed from the connector end.

Scott

s-l1600.jpg

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46
HP Recommended

Hi Guys

Over three days and no responses!   Surely my question is not that difficult, or is it?

Tom

HP Recommended

Most of us have no experience with the Z1.  

I do have extensive experience with taking a HDD proper install of W7 on a HP workstation and capturing an image of that, and then cloning that image onto a SSD of larger or smaller size.

The tool I use is Acronis True Image, and I have the bootable Acronis CD that the program lets you create.  I boot into that on the workstation, save the image from the source HDD install onto a target external SATA drive attached to the SATA bus via eSATA.  This results in an Acronis image of the install that is about exactly 1/2 the size of the original used portion of the source HDD.  I then remove the source HDD, and replace it with a target SSD, larger or smaller than the source overall, but it has to be larger than the net used space on the HDD, of course.

I again boot from the Acronis CD, and access the Acronis image on the external SATA drive (via its eSATA connection) to thereby clone that image to the target SSD, and Acronis will automatically upsize/downsize the install to fit into the target SSD.  There automatically is no leftover unused partition on the SSD.

When I say "proper" install I mean that I tune that HDD's install up fully before I do this, and make sure that the original was built with the "System Reserved" small partition.

Then, assuming there is a spare bay in your Z1, you can reformat that original HDD and use it for backup, etc.

None of this is without potential hassle and time expense, bu tthe capture and clone process with Acronis takes me about 8 minutes each for a roughly 45GB install.  Extrapolate from there......

HP Recommended

Thank you for such a clear explanation for handling the software side of the changeover.

If I clone all programs including W7(64) to the SSD and then put that SSD in socket 1, will the computer automatically boot from the SSD or will I also have to do something to the BIOS?

I presently use about 100 GB for programs and 20 GB for data, so the above looks do-able.

I am still rather confused by the hardware issues and have been given conflicting advice, elsewhere. 

The Z1 has the unique tool-less upgrade system and does not have separate bays for each drive.   There is a single bay which contains two SATA drive sockets and either one or two HDD/SSD's can be put into the drive carrier which is then snapped into that single bay.   I presume that I need some sort of bracket to hold an SSD in the drive carrier, but I don't know.

Thank you

HP Recommended

I'm happy to help with this.... let's assume the original install was from HP (the one you'll be cloning).  That will have the very important "system reserved" small partition, and also the large OS/Programs/Documents partition.  When you do the Acronis image capture/clone creation process you get both of those on the SSD automatically, properly up- or down-sized to fill the SSD.

That system reserved partition is important.... I have seen it as small as 32MB in a W7Pro64 install that was from before W7 PS1.  And, a clean W10 install gives it 500MB.  I mention this for the anticipated W10 activation of this workstation.  Once you learn how to image/clone then you will be able to make a stunt copy of your activated W7 install and do a full W10 install on that (keeping your original safe).  Then, later, you'll be able to experiment with W10.  Once you W10-activate you're set for the life of that workstation.  W10 activation will stay free until the end of this July.

Regarding the drive form factors:  I'm assuming the two bays you speak of are 3.5" standard HDD form factor.  Your SSD will be a 2.5" form factor.  There are adapters I have posted on here to properly convert a 2.5 to a 3.5 form factor, with the SATA data/power ports properly exacltly shifted to the left.  There is a HP one that I like the best, and a Western Digital Ice Dock that I also like very much.  Icy Dock makes one too, out of mainly plastic.  So, you'll need one of those, I believe.  The 3.5" form factor drives use 6-32 screws, whereas the SSDs use M3 metric screws.

The SSD..... is that a SATA Generation III or II workstation?  If it is Gen II I'd recommend the Intel 320 series 300GB (or 160GB) SSD off eBay, used, because these are also SATA Gen II drives.  You get to use the Intel Toolbox software with those, which is great.  I just don't like the Samsung experience we've had here..... not as good as Intel for our needs. 

So, keep us posted and also try to post some pics so others can see what you're doing.  It will help.....

HP Recommended

Hey there TomCole 🙂

I believe these two links can give you some good info on the topic:
http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04111467.pdf
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hp-z1-all-in-one-workstation-performance,3796.html

Basically you shouldn't have any problems adding a SSD to your workstation.

One important note from me: Cloning a HDD onto a SSD may not be a good idea as the procedure transfers everything including potential malware, errors and other things that may cause your system to crash. Moreover, cloning a HDD no a SSD may cause the system to recognize the SSD as a HDD and thus miss out on important functions such as TRIM and be susceptible to defragging which will degrade the drive's lifespan and performance. I would strongly recommend doing a fresh install of the OS and your applications on the SSD if you decide to upgrade with it. 🙂

Feel free to ask if you happen to have questions!

Captain_WD.

HP Recommended

So, keep us posted and also try to post some pics so others can see what you're doing.  It will help.....

I have taken a few photos and will try to attach them;  have also discovered and downloaded the HP Z1 Maintenance and Service Manual.

The hard drive in the Z1 is a Seagate Barracuda and has a little sticker that says:

• HP Spares No 684593-001,   500 GB SATA3  6GSQ.   Confirms it is SATA 3, and it is a 3.5 inch drive..

The Cradle assembly (or whatever it is called) also has a parts number.

• HP PN 671193-001.

Here are some photos of the HDD in situ showing the partly blocked second SATA socket, and two showing the unique HDD cradle system removed from the computer.   My photography is amateurish!

In Situ.JPG

Bottom View.JPG

Top View.JPG

There is more to come...

HP Recommended

Second part of today's post.

Have also downloaded the Z1 Service Manual and at page 46 it says.

● The workstation supports only SATA hard drives.
● The workstation requires one of the following supported carriers:
◦ 671193-001 supports one 3.5-in hard drive
◦ 671192-001 supports one or two 2.5-in hard drives
● Combining a 2.5-in hard drive and 3.5-in hard drive is not possible.
● No cable adapters are required for any hard drives. The cables necessary for all hard drive
configurations are included in the base system and automatically “blind mate” or “direct connect”
to the drive(s) when installed.

This clearly states that I cannot add an 2.5 SSD to the existing 3.5 HDD (and The second SATA socket is blocked by the existing drive making it impossible) so I will need to buy:

• Cradle carrier - PN 671192-001 - for 2.5" drives.
  • 2.5" SSD, and
  • 2.5" HDD (Did not expect this!)

But HP Parts Surfer does not recognise part no 671192-001, and hasn't for 4 years!   Will have to try to find another source.

I thought that this would be easy!

Thank you for all assistance so far; it is really conforting.

Cheers

Tom

HP Recommended

Tom,

I looked up the Z1 in more detail, and Captain above is correct (as you also saw).... that can take SATA Gen III drives.  Personally I'd go for a SATA Gen III SSD from Intel, ideally also something from Intel, from HP.  I could get you some info on that, but probably a Samsung would be fine too given the situation.

Captain does have a good point on the clone from HDD to SSD.  I don't know if the clone process adds those parts automatically to the target SSD build, but I have done that from HDD to SSD and have not noticed any issues.  About 20 of those, but those were cloned onto SATA Gen II SSDs from a SATA Gen II HDD image.

I entered that part number into Google, and then filtered by images.  Yikes.  I'd bet they're not giving those away.  I wonder if you got a large enough SSD whether you could live with just a SSD in there.....

The "Blind Mate" they refer to is the Foxconn system that allows sliding a tray/carrier containing a SSD/SSDs into a receptacle and having it line up properly (with a little bit of wiggle built in) so things mate together with perfect alignment for both SATA power and data connections.  I get it that if there is the spacing for only two 2.5" devices then you can choose to use 2 SSDs, or 2 2.5" form factor HHDs, or a boot SSD and a documents 2.5" HDD.  It is not like you can mess around with cables in there.... it is all fixed in space.  The price you pay for such a nice package, and that adapter will cost you quite a bit.

So, maybe one good sized SSD in a 3.5" adapter, in your 671193-001  is the way to go.  Here is the HP Blind Mate 2.5 to 3.5 adapter part number..... 654540-001.  It is an A+ piece of equipment and converts the 2.5" SSD into a perfect 3.5" form factor.  Here is a source from eBay which has a good number of pictures, but just search under that number and you can get them for about $10.00 including shipping, from China.  So far, no problems with buying that way.  Just takes a couple of weeks:

Click HERE.

I have bought a good number of those.... even from China (where they are made for HP).  They work very well.  They shift the connectors properly to the left, when viewed from the connector end.

Scott

s-l1600.jpg

HP Recommended

Thank you, Scott

Absolutely brilliant solution.  So simple, so cheap, ... and I like value for money.

I have ordered that HP Blind Mate 2.5 to 3.5 adapter part number...654540-001  part from China.

I also got sticker shock on the HP 2.5 cradle and sent emails to four of the advertisers asking for quotes including shipping.  So far I have three replies.  All ..... "Sorry, out of stock."

I will now probably just go with a 500 GB SSD.  Later, when SSD's should be cheaper, if I need more space, I can think about adding a second SSD or upgrading the 500 GB one.

Here the 512 GB Samsung 850 PRO costs about US$250.

• The 512 GB Samsung 850 PRO has slightly better longevity/reliability figures than the Intel and a 10 year warranty.
  • The 480 GB Intel 535 is about $10 dearer and only has a five year warrantee.
  • The 512 GB Samsung 850 EVO has similar longevity and warranty figures to the Intel and is $100 cheaper.

On paper, The Samsung PRO looks the better deal.

Thank you

Tom

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.