Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have checked on this again, the 945g intel chipset does support the core 2 duo, but it hinges on HP doing a BIOS update to support these CPU's.

http://ark.intel.com/products/27720/Intel-82945G-Memory-Controller

Like i found when i got this pc i had to update so it would except the Pentium D 930.

Are there any HP staff out there that can help with this, the range of the core 2 duo that the Intel 945g chipset supports is large, come on HP, lets let our older machines have a bit more life.

Do the BIOS update so we can run with the core 2 duo's

Ball in your court now HP.....

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

While the 945 chipset may support some Intel E series conroe dual core processors, the dc7600 does not.

Max is the PD 945 (or 950 if you need VT).

You can read this related thread below for those who have tried and failed.

/t5/Business-PCs-Compaq-Elite-Pro/dc7600-cmt-cpu-upgrade/m-p/835120/highlight/true#M61965

HP Recommended

I did check it, i have read many of them.

The problem is the 945g chipset not only supports Dual Core and Core 2 Duo it is down to HP to update the BIOS to accept these cpu's

Since this wont happen, ppl with dc760's are stuck wiht P4's or Pentium D's

Bit annoying

HP Recommended

HP isn't going to update the BIOS' on any of the dc7xxx PC's.

They probably will never again update the BIOS' on the 8000 or 8100 Elite PC's which succeeded them either.

They don't provide perpetual support for their PC's.

I understand your disappointment, but you will have to get over it.

HP Recommended

Mr. Tikkanen is correct. HP is in business to make money, and paying people to support old machinery indefinitely is not consistent with that goal. They'd like us to buy new machines instead, and we can hardly blame them. Car companies take the same attitude, for example, and so do software companies. Don't feel annoyed, just upgrade your DC7600 as much as it makes sense to you for the money, and be glad computers don't wear out like other consumer goods.

For example, replacing your HDD with a solid state drive will give a noticeable improvement in speed, especially on boot ups and program loads, and SSDs have become very economical. Add 4GB of 667MHz memory, which is also cheap now and is the fastest supported by the mainboard. Buy a used graphics card from ATI to relieve some load on your CPU. Use software utilities like TuneUp 2006 to optimize settings, and download the free TCP-IP Optimizer for Internet access.

If despite all that your DC7600 finally feels too slow to bear, buy a used next-generation PC, and take the plunge to a 64 bit OS.

Regards,

Ed Hargrove

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.