Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm trying to capture an image of a thin client, using the Thin State Capture tool. During the capture, the tool fails at 68%, saying:

"ERROR: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FireRepository\bcmw16.inf_x86_neutral_b13f4e7a531dab07\bcmw16.PNF [err = 112]"

Then says "Failed to capture image!" and "Couldn't open WIM file!"

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

By the way Error 112 means that it's running out space. So the error can either be:

1. USB disk is out of space.

2. The source is corrupt - it usually caused by not enough space for sysprep to completey configure the unit for capture.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended
Does it fail somewhere else another time? What Image and Build you try to capture? Does it fail with a newly flashed standard image?
I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own and do not express those of HP.
**Click the Thumps Up Button on the right to say Thanks**
HP Recommended

Every time it's failed, it happens at the same percentage. I haven't tested it yet with a "vanilla" image - but both of the loads I'm trying to backup came from the standard - I just added some programs and tweaked the default user. I built the load twice on two different thin clients, using the HP standard image.

HP Recommended

I'm afraid if the file is accessable.

My suggestions

1. Boot into PE, and check if you can copy/rename/delete the file "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FireRepository\bcmw16.inf_x86_neutral_b13f4e7a531dab07\bcmw16.PNF"

2. Or, please use chkdsk to verify if there are any disk related problem before capturing.

====================================================
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
HP Recommended

What is PE? Yea, I know... I'm not the smartest when it comes to this stuff. But I was hoping it would be simpler than this.

HP Recommended

Sorry for the confusing, PE refers to Preboot Environment. It's an operation system which can boot from USB key.

Actually, Thin State, when boot from USB key, it uses PE to capture the image.

You can get a PE system by modifing the Thin State USB key. Please rename \IBRPE\thinstate.cmd to \IBRPE\thinstate1.cmd, which breaks the automate process of thinstate.

Now, boot with this USB key, and you will get a command prompt window. Please use that to check if there are any confilictions of the files as I mentioned above.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
HP Recommended

Usually when I get those type of errors most of the time its becuase of a bad USB stick. With some USB sticks I do a full format of it and most of the time that fixes the problem. Other times I had to use a completey diffent USB stick

HP Recommended

I was able to go back and start from scratch with this issue. From what I'm guessing, it seems to be related to the amount of data on the thin client's Flash drive.

I re-imaged the problem thin client and was able to capture that vanilla image to a USB key, so I knew there was nothing wrong with the hardware.

Then I started installing items one at a time. I'd install Adobe Flash, and then take an image. Then Adobe Reader, take an image, etc. We never got close to even half of the storage capacity of the flash drive, but once we started getting to a certain point - it would fail during capture.

We're using 5.5GB of a 14.8GB drive and capturing to an 8GB stick - so storage size shouldn't be an issue. But for some reason, it seems to be a factor.

HP Recommended

By the way Error 112 means that it's running out space. So the error can either be:

1. USB disk is out of space.

2. The source is corrupt - it usually caused by not enough space for sysprep to completey configure the unit for capture.

HP Recommended

Well, finally we get some solid information.

I know that the USB key has plenty of space - it had double the space as the thin clients flash drive.

Any idea how to calculate how much more space is required for the capture? Is it 1:1?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.