Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Z820 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

I need advice or help with compatible graphics card in this time and date.

I´m architecture and work with AutoDesk 3D Studio MAX. I used graphic card nVidia quadro M5000. This function from since bought pc with this card good. But now after two years was card very busy and loadly. Not good for work now.

Then I want buy new card. After hour and hour seaching answer what is new compatible card for me. I found that is compatible with new nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 (12 GB GDDR) But id is not function properly and very busy and loadly also my old Quadro M5000. 

My pleasure is. Please advice me compatible card for my work which is avalible for buy and compatible funciton.

Thank you very much for your answers.

Dax 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Check to see what Autodesk 3D Studio Max supports.

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
HP Recommended

Its a very essential to check the Graphics requriments for the AutoDesk 3D Studio MAX...

But do consider to check the Graphics card supported by the model.

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04111526.pdf 

Say "thanks" by clicking the Kudos thumbs up!
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
I am an HP Employee .
HP Recommended

A full range of graphics cards to meet your performance needs—compare features
HP recommends Windows
Maximus NVIDIA Tesla C20752
High 3D NVIDIA Quadro K5000
AMD FirePro™ W7000
Note : NVIDIA Tesla C2075 requires the 1125w Power Supply for the HP Z820 Workstation

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others**
******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!.*****

HP Recommended

Your Z820 and M5000 are still powerfull for 3Ds Max!

What if after you buy GTX1080 you'll not getting higher performance as you expected? The term 'load' and 'busy' can be caused by so many aspects

Before you decide to buy GTX1080, here's a couple of tips you might want to check

Environment & Hardware:

1. Close all open applications and quit unused background process, then Check your CPU & GPU Utilization by using Win Task Manager and Nvidia GPU Utilization on NVCP>Workstation Section
    • If you noticed there's a steady high load at least 20%-50%, then you should check which process are using it
    • 3Ds Max is a RAM hungry application.  so you'd better quit all other application that arent use will working.
  2. Check your Temperatures
    • Go to BIOS and go to sys temp to monitored your proc temps. I believe in normal / idle condition it should be around 60c-70c
    • Use HWINFO Here to monitor all of your components. or Using GPU-Z Here
    • Win 10 has some issue that it will show Disk Activity 100% all the time on Task Manager, this will slow down your system
  3. Room Temp
    • Make sure you're on a well air conditioned room 🙂
  4. Dust Away!
    • Clean your Fans, Grills, Holes, what ever that might blocking the airflows. Replace Processor Thermal Paste if neccessary
  5. Keep it tidy
    • It's simple, just keep your internal power cables away from blocking the airflow
  6. PCIe Slot
    • Is your GPU inserted on the right PCIe Gen3 x16 slot? HP Z8xx has dual Processors, so at least 2 PCIe Gen3 x16 slots are enabled on your system
  7. No Windows Fancy stuff!
    • Yep, turn off all those windows fancy UI thingy, Aero, Transparancy, Animated window, etc, etc. It will help to reduce GPU resource used by these features. 
  8. Power Balance
    • Win 7 or 10 need at least 3-4Gb of RAM to run smooth. and 3Ds Max is a RAM hungry application, specially on huge datasets or Polys, so either you need more RAM or keep it in balance. Otherwise OS and 3Ds Max will be laggy like crazy.

So yes, system temps or config might reduce performance, specially after two years, but HP Z workstations and Quadro cards are not parts that can be easily degraded. at least for the next 5 years. Unless, your software has recent hardware requirements

Next,

Software:

1. What version is your 3Ds Max?
    • With your system config you're still be able to run 3Ds Max 2017-2018. (But obviously might depends on your project scale or workflow)
  2. How many RAM do you have?
    • I assume that you understand point #8 above. You can try different workflow  (on 3Ds Max) to test. If it's slowing down, sluggish, lags, it's not always GPU to blame.
    • MOnitored your system performance while working by keep those Utilization window opened (always on top)
  3. Do some test
    • Benchmark or test your system during work. from small project to large project if any. 
    • Play around with some 3D Application settings on NVIDIA Control Panel.
    • Disable ECC option on NVIDIA Control Panel. This will help to gain performance! (Enabling ECC on Quadro cards typically used for intensive simulations, data calculations, with high workloads) You don't need this to be enabled. Your ECC RAM should be enough
    • Reduce or Maximize your workflow
  4. The Right Driver for the Race
    • Choose the right Latest Driver available on NVIDIA site. Currently there's no more specific 3Ds Max Performance Driver for Quadro, Grid or Tesla. You can just use ODE
  5. GPU or CPU?
    • Most 3D Application use GPU to gain performance during interaction while working, While it also significantly  boost Quailty inside your 3D application. So you have two options, either Quality or Performance.
    • If you're not using GPU render for Final Production (V-Ray RT, Octance, iRAY, Ray Traced), Rendering still be best done on CPU (common in the industry and reliable)

Also, i hope you clearly understand the differences between Quadro and GeForce

Quadro: Low FPS, Sucks on Gaming, High availability, ECC capability, Reliable. Typically for Rendering, Simulation, Compute

GeForce: High FPS, Gaming God, able to do Quadro features (except ECC), but sometimes unstable during nonstop heavy rendering, 

Both are using the same chip, but they're configured to suite specific task

Hope all this will help you to decide... or get more confused :OpenSmile: 

Cheers!

HP Recommended

Your Z820 and M5000 are still powerfull for 3Ds Max!

What if after you buy GTX1080 you'll not getting higher performance as you expected? The term 'load' and 'busy' can be caused by so many aspects
Before you decide to buy GTX1080, here's a couple of tips you might want to check

Environment & Hardware:

• Close all open applications and quit unused background process,
    • Check your CPU & GPU Utilization by using Win Task Manager and Nvidia GPU Utilization on NVCP>Workstation Section
      If you noticed there's a steady high load at least 20%-50%, then you should check which process are using it.
      3Ds Max is a RAM hungry application. so you'd better quit all other application that arent use will working.
  • Check your Temperatures
    • Go to BIOS and go to sys temp to monitored your proc temps. I believe in normal / idle condition it should be around 60c-70c
    • Use HWINFO to monitor all of your components. or Using GPU-Z
    • Win 10 has some issue that it will show Disk Activity 100% all the time on Task Manager, this will slow down your system
  • Room Temp
    Make sure you're on a well air conditioned room 🙂
  • Dust Away!
    Clean your Fans, Grills, Holes, what ever that might blocking the airflows. Replace Processor Thermal Paste if neccessary
  • Keep it tidy
    It's simple, just keep your internal power cables away from blocking the airflow
  • PCIe Slot
    Is your GPU inserted on the right PCIe Gen3 x16 slot? HP Z8xx has dual Processors, so at least 2 PCIe Gen3 x16 slots are enabled on your system
  • No Windows Fancy stuff!
    Yep, turn off all those windows fancy UI thingy, Aero, Transparancy, Animated window, etc, etc. It will help to reduce GPU resource used by these features.
  • Power Balance
    Win 7 or 10 need at least 3-4Gb of RAM to run smooth. and 3Ds Max is a RAM hungry application, specially on huge datasets or Polys, so either you need more RAM or keep it in balance. Otherwise OS and 3Ds Max will be laggy like crazy.

So yes, system temps or config might reduce performance, specially after two years, but HP Z workstations and Quadro cards are not parts that can be easily degraded. at least for the next 5 years. Unless, your software has recent hardware requirements
Next,

Software:

• What version is your 3Ds Max?
    With your system config you're still be able to run 3Ds Max 2017-2018. (But obviously might depends on your project scale or workflow)
  • How many RAM do you have?
    I assume that you understand point #8 above. You can try different workflow (on 3Ds Max) to test. If it's slowing down, sluggish, lags, it's not always GPU to blame.
    MOnitored your system performance while working by keep those Utilization window opened (always on top)
  • Do some test
    • Benchmark or test your system during work. from small project to large project if any.
    • Play around with some 3D Application settings on NVIDIA Control Panel.
    • Disable ECC option on NVIDIA Control Panel. This will help to gain performance! (Enabling ECC on Quadro cards typically used for intensive simulations, data calculations, with high workloads) You don't need this to be enabled. Your ECC RAM should be enough
    • Try to reduce your workflow
  • The Right Driver for the Race
    Choose the right Latest Driver available on NVIDIA site. Currently there's no more specific 3Ds Max Performance Driver for Quadro, Grid or Tesla. You can just use ODE
  • GPU or CPU?
    Most 3D Application use GPU to gain performance during interaction while working, While it also significantly boost Quailty inside your 3D application. So you have option. Quality or Performance.
    If you're not using GPU render for Final Production (V-Ray RT, Octance, iRAY, Ray Traced), Rendering still be best done on CPU (common in the industry and reliable)

Also, i hope you clearly understand the differences between Quadro and GeForce

Quadro: Low FPS, Sucks on Gaming, High availability, ECC capability, Reliable. Typically for Rendering, Simulation, Compute
    GeForce: High FPS, Gaming God, able to do Quadro features (except ECC), but sometimes unstable during nonstop heavy rendering,
    Both are using the same chip, but they're configured to suite specific task

Hope all this will help you to decide... or get more confused :TongueOut:
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.