Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

just finished installing a geoforce gtx 675m (with the latest nvidia drivers) in my z1 and it is up and running without any problems. i know at least a few forum members have posted questions regarding this topic, asking if it was possible to use an "unsupported" card in a z1 - well the answer appears to be yes, at least it worked with my setup.

notes:

> my system: xeon e3 1245, 16gb mem, windows 8/64, quadro 1000m previously installed.

> for the z1, hp lists two different gpu hsf modules (enclosures)  in their parts section, one for the smaller type-a cards ( 82mm x 70mm ) and one for the larger type-b cards ( 82mm x 105mm ) - they are in fact the same module, identical. i mention this because there is no need to purchase another module if you already have one, it will accommodate either card size.

> no special .ini files, tweaked, edited or otherwise were needed - there were rumors that this was required, here and at other forums.

> according to two different hp tech guys i spoke with, there is no proprietary bios configuration (system or graphics card gpu) in terms of the z1,  nothing done by hp that would prevent other cards from working, but rather it's a question of system hardware/software compatibilty. but, to my untrained eyes, this seems to contradict hp's recent announcement of additional card support, per thiis example:

"Effective March 15, 2013, HP will provide a video BIOS update for the NVIDIA K4000M Graphics Card. The following change is being made on the graphics card: Updating video BIOS to 80.04.60.00.33. This update corrects a Hardware Certification Check (HCK) test failure issue. There is no impact to the system. Changes to the system or drivers are not needed as the original driver will recognize video cards with updated firmware."

> i ran into a few hurdles during the install process, including  a badly garbled, unreadable display image and, eventually, a system that would not power up at all, no led lights, no hum, nothing, dead as a doornail, thought i had fried my unit, or at least killed my psu. however, in hindsight, i'm pretty certain that all of this was caused because i failed to seat the card securely - it's imperative that the card not only be firmly inserted into the slot, but also securely snapped down into place. in order to get the system to power up again, i removed the gpu, memory, hard drives and dvd drive and it fired right up. i then replaced each component one by one to see if any of them had caused the problem, prevented the unit from starting, none did. it appears that the system board became locked due to the poorly seated gpu.

Installation process:

> if you have a quadro card installed as i did, uninstall the drivers for this card in device manager, which will cause the system to default to the onboard graphics. in an effort to get rid of as many quadro remnants as possible, i checked in "uninstall programs"  and also ran ccleaner for my drives and registry.

> download your card's latest driver file to your desktop, but don't install (execute) yet.

> if using windows 8, you will probably need to disable it's new safe mode loader which, crazily, appears to only allow you to boot into safe mode by selecting this option while in windows (F8 will not bring up safe mode during boot under windows 8 apparently). to disable, open a command prompt as administrator and type "bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy" and then enter. once done, reboot so it takes. after rebooting, it might be a good idea to reboot once again in order to make sure that F8 now works. if it does work, and you get the safe mode options, just select continue to windows normally. once in windows again shut down your machine.

> insert your new card.

> turn on system and boot into safe mode (F8) - select low resolution option.

> install your card's drivers - in my case, when i clicked the nvidia exe driver file that i had downloaded it hung and then gave me a "failed to install" message. however it did extract all of the setup files in an nvidia folder that was installed in program files. i tried to run the setup exe file that was extracted to the nvidia folder but got the same fail message. so i went to device manager, found that my 675m card was listed under display adapters, selected update drivers, and pointed to the nvidia folder where the install files were extracted - presto, the driver update began and completed successfully. to be sure, while still in device manager, i confirmed that the new drivers had been installed.

a few other notes:

> i picked up the 675m on ebay for a song, the seller said that it was in like new condition (for whatever that's worth) and that it was recently pulled from an aalienware m18xr2 - he also mentioned that it was compatible with msi and clevo notebooks. fwiw, the card looked almost new when i received it.

> is the 675m noticeably better than the quadro 1000m that it replaced? well i haven't had time to really compare it yet but, fwiw, the windows "experience" scores for graphics and gaming went up from 6.6 to 7.4.

> fwiw i'm running a dual monitor setup, works great, no prob with displayport working well.

> rereading my post it appears that some may think that my install experience was an arduous and risky process, but that's really not the case. i really believe that if i had made certain that the new card was seated securely and properly the first time around this would have been a relatively easy process. hope this helps others that want to give an alternative gpu a stab.

675m.jpg

56 REPLIES 56
HP Recommended

forgot to mention the nvidia driver i used, it's the 314.22 notebook version released on 3/25/2013 - apparently there's also a desktop version of the 314.22 available as well which is a smaller file size and lists desktop cards as supported, not notebook cards. here's a link to the notebook driver:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win8-win7-64bit-314.22-whql-driver.html

here's the list of supported notebook cards per nvidia:

GeForce 700M series:
GT 730M, GT 710M 

GeForce 600M series:
GeForce GTX 680MX, GeForce GTX 680M, GeForce GTX 675M, GeForce GTX 670MX, GeForce GTX 670M, GeForce GTX 660M, GeForce GT 650M, GeForce GT 640M LE, GeForce GT 640M, GeForce GT 635M, GeForce GT 630M, GeForce GT 620M, GeForce 610M

GeForce 500M series:
GeForce GTX 580M, GeForce GTX 570M, GeForce GTX 560M, GeForce GT 555M, GeForce GT 550M, GeForce GT 540M, GeForce GT 525M, GeForce GT 520M, GeForce GT 520MX

GeForce 400M series:
GTX 485M, GTX 480M, GTX 470M, GTX 460M , GT 445M, GT 435M, GT 425M, GT 420M, GT 415M, 410M

GeForce 300M series:
GTS 360M, GTS 350M, GT 335M, GT 330M, GT 325M, GT 320M, 320M, 315M, 310M, 305M

GeForce 200M series:
GT 230M, GT 240M, G210M, GTX 285M, GTX 280M, GTS 250M, GTX 260M, GT 220M, G210M, G205M

GeForce 100M series:
G 110M, GT 130M, GTS 160M, G 105M, G 103M, G 102M, GT 120M

GeForce 9M series:
9400M G, 9650M GS, 9200M GS, 9500M GS, 9400M GS, 9800M GS, 9300M GS, 9800M GT, 9100M G, 9800M GTS, 9500M G, 9700M GT, 9600M GS, 9650M GT, 9400M, 9300M G, 9800M GTX, 9600M GT, 9700M GTS

GeForce 8M series:
8800M GTS, 8600M GT, 8400M GT, 8800M GTX, 8800M GS, 8600M GS, 8700M GT, 8400M GS, 8400M G, 8200M G, 8200M

Quadro FX Notebook series:
5010M, 5000M, 4000M, 3000M, 2000M, 1000M, FX 3800M, FX 3700M, FX 360M, FX 1600M, FX 380M, FX 370M, FX 3600M, FX 2800M, FX 2700M, FX 880M, FX 770M, FX 570M, FX 1800M, FX 1700M

Quadro NVS Notebook series:
NVS 5400M, NVS 5200M, NVS 5100M, NVS 4200M, NVS 3100M, NVS 2100M, NVS 150M, NVS 160M, NVS 140M, NVS 320M, NVS 130M, NVS 135M

ION Notebook series:
ION (Notebooks) , ION LE (Notebooks) 

Exceptions:

1. Notebooks supporting Hybrid Power technology with Intel chipsets are not supported (NVIDIA Optimus technology is supported).
  2. The following Sony VAIO notebooks are included in the Geforce notebook program: Sony VAIO F Series with NVIDIA GeForce 310M, GeForce GT 330M, GeForce GT 425M, GeForce GT 520M or GeForce GT 540M. Other Sony VAIO notebooks are not included (please contact Sony for driver support).
  3. Fujitsu notebooks are not included (Fujitsu Siemens notebooks are included).

HP Recommended

btw, if anyone is interested i am selling my quadro 1000m, complete with heatsink/fan module, that i recently replaced - it is in like-new condition and the card was hp factory mounted into the module. asking $175 which includes free u.s. shipping. the card/hsf you would be receiving is the one on the right in the following pictures ( notice that the q100m is visible) - just send me a pm or resopond to this thread if interested.

IMG_2747.jpg

hsf03.JPG

HP Recommended

aeneas1 wrote:

> according to two different hp tech guys i spoke with, there is no proprietary bios configuration (system or graphics card gpu) in terms of the z1,  nothing done by hp that would prevent other cards from working, but rather it's a question of system hardware/software compatibilty. but, to my untrained eyes, this seems to contradict hp's recent announcement of additional card support, per thiis example:

"Effective March 15, 2013, HP will provide a video BIOS update for the NVIDIA K4000M Graphics Card. The following change is being made on the graphics card: Updating video BIOS to 80.04.60.00.33. This update corrects a Hardware Certification Check (HCK) test failure issue. There is no impact to the system. Changes to the system or drivers are not needed as the original driver will recognize video cards with updated firmware."

NVidia has requirements for various features on their graphics cards. To implement these features, OEMs must license and pay NVidia for the privaledge of using these feature and NVidia graphics drivers cross check to ensure the feature is indeed licensed. For example, GeForce SLI (multi-GPU) requires manufacturers to license their mobo's and as such they store license data within BIOS chip which is checked by the graphics driver itself. NVidia also has application certified graphics drivers which only work with their expensive Quadro cards and to ensure nobody uses these drivers with other cheaper (GeForce) cards, the video card BIOS, like the mobo, has license data which the driver checks.

Unfortunately there is no clear statement i have found from reputable sources like Nvidia itself, so who knows what the license conditions and checks are but the snippets of speculation i have read seem plausable to me. I guess i'll find out if ever i try installing 2 modified x8 PCIe GeForce cards (in SLI) within my Dell T610 server/workstation :smileyhappy:.

So, it may just be that the above mentioned HP graphics card BIOS update was indeed made to ensure any future updated certified Quadro drivers would continue to work correctly with the delivered Quadro card.

Oh, I ended up not buying a Z1 and have no need for a Q1000 as my Z210 is OK with PCIe cards but someone will find it a nice buy.

HP Recommended

So i am trying to get a Z1 with an un supported graphics card and im trying to find out if its possible and how high end it can be. Example, what would be a set up or like a specification from Memory, Ram, SSD etc. Will a 780 gtx fit or do i have to settle for a 600 series? Will any nvidia card work with the Z1? Im being bounced around so much im not even sure any more. Any help is appreciated.

ols

HP Recommended

You can upgrade the RAM to 32gb of any DDR3 memory. The specs say it only supports up to 8gb of non-ECC but it will work. As for a SSD, any SATA SSD will work. Any Ivy Bride CPU should work too.

As for the GPU, yes, any NVIDIA MXM 3 card should work just fine. I have a 680M at the moment and if you search the forums, a few others have other cards too.

This thread here: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/Non-Quadro-cards-in-a-Z1-Workstation/m-p/2905603/highl... has a chap installing a 700 series card. With the drivers installed, it will be working 100%.

HP Recommended

Ok, ive called Nvidia, MSI and EVGA and not one of them can show me a card that goes into a HP Z1. ive read in all these forums here that people are putting in GTX cards. So either im on another planet or i just cant get a card. Do you or anyone have a picture, a detailed picture of the MXM card and where they got it from, what are the exact specs on the card so i may get it please?  It's hard to get anything done from the embassy here in Iraq so any help is grately appreciated. Thanks and pardon my fraustration but right now i have a 51lbs paperweight with a graphics card. you can email me at suprhrnt18e@yahoo.com

Ols

HP Recommended

The cards are NVIDIA MXM 3.0 Type B cards and are NOT regular GTX cards. You can read all about them on Wiki here.

Search eBay for "680m mxm" or "780m mxm" or any model you'd prefer.

You can read the complete review, benchmarks and specs of the 780M MXM here. This site (on the left) has reviews on all other NVIDIA MXM cards too.

Personally, I have the 680M but another fellow here on the Forums has a working 700 series card. HP don't make them, go for  Clevo model (mine) or an Alienware.

thCAMQCYH7.jpg

HP Recommended

not sure why you're frustrated, it's really very easy to understand:

> you can install laptop video cards into the hpz1, not desktop video cards.

> laptop video cards come in two standard sizes, small (type-a cards, 82mm x 70mm) and large (type-b cards, 82mm x 105mm ). the hpz1 takes both sizes.

> you will need the hpz1 heatsink/fan module if you want to use a discreet video card in the hpz1 - this module comes in one size and will take a small (type-a) laptop video card or large (type-b) laptop video card. the hpz1 base models do not come with a heatsink/fan module, only the hpz1 models with pre-instaled discreet video cards come with a heatsink/fan module. an hpz1 heatsink/fan module can be purachesed separately for about $100, from hp or other sources.

> all of us that are using "unsupported" laptop video cards in out hpz1 machines have chosen nvidia laptop video cards, for many reasons - one primary reason is because it appears that amd laptop video cards may not fit into the hpz1 heatsink/fan module due to drill hole spacing.

> laptop video cards are not typically sold through retail outlets as are desktop video cards, laptop video cards are typically oem items and usually purchased via the secondary market. ebay is by far the best place to find a laptop video card for your hpz1.

> the folowing link shows a list of high-end video cards on the martket and is updated regularly - this information includes benchmarks and pricing. you want to look for laptop video cards on this list which can be identified by a) the card name/number ending with the letter "m", for example geoforce gtx 780m and b) the laptop video cards found on this list will not have a corresponding retail price as do the other video cards on thelist because, as i mentioned, they are not typically available through retail channels, they are oem items.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

> finally, and i don't mean to be harsh, but there is an abundant amount of information available on this forum regarding this very topic, including detailed photos, links to hpz1 video card installation and removal, detailed discussions about the specific cards that are known to work, detailed discussions about getting the cards to work in terms of drivers and installation, etc., etc. etc. - if you are unable to locate this easy-to-find information, if you are unable to understand the many posts and discussions regarding this very topic, and this seems to be the case, i'm not sure you're a good candidate for this diy upgrade. again, don't mean to be harsh.

HP Recommended

As aeneas1 has said, it is very straightforward.

You can watch the installation video on the HP Customer Self Repair Services Media Library

The video Video card PCA is how to install the MXM card to the HSF module. Video graphic card is how to insert the HSF module into the Z1.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.