Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@casual_Gamer wrote:

Could there be a need to upgrade fans at all...your thoughts?"

No. There is no need to do this, infact, there is no option to do so. The fans with the Z1 are plenty enough for the 680M.

You seem to be the second fellow to buy the PHY card... Maybe this is the issue. It sounds like the card is overheating. Did you apply the thermal paste and thermal pads properly?

I'd personally return the card and get either the 770, or 860M cards. They will be a lot cheaper and offer much more performace.

HP Recommended

Hi RogerWilco, ty for quick response. The card was actually attached with the fan, so it was just a matter of pulling out old Quadro 500 and replacing with the 680m (or so i thought) and no need to use thermal paste/pads at all...perhaps i just hava a dud card afterall. might have to put this one down to experience.

HP Recommended

The fan unit the cards come in are the same. There are 2 versions, one has pads applied, the other doesn't. That's all the differences are.

Sorry for the dud card. I'd return it is you can, get the HSF card holder from the HP Parts store and then get a 770, 860 or 870m MXM card from eBay. It should all work out cheaper than the PHY card.

HP Recommended

Hey Roger,

Checking in, its been awhile, still trucking along with my Z1, 3770k, Q500m, what do you think is the best videocard for the money now? The 860m or 870m? I'd love to get an 880m but after I read how power it draws I wonder if it would work in the Z1 without having power draw issues, not so much worried about heat, the case should dissapate fine as long as the HSF can handle it.

Also I have a Z1 G2 demo from HP at work and with Windows 8 and the touch function its actually not too bad, beautiful screen for touch. One thing I noticed is that HP cheaped out the DVD drive from slot load to regular caddy style, also the non touch screen had no plexiglass on the front!

HP Recommended

Hello Curtis,

I'd not bother with the 880M. You'd never use all of its oomph. Plus, replacing it every couple of years would be VERY expensive. It would probably work in the Z1 as it is designed for Quadro high end cards, plus, it uses MXM specs so everything should be fine power-wise.

I've got the 770M slightly overlcocked and she works just fine. For the money, I'd go for the 870M. The 870M is a nice replacement for the 770M. I don't play many games but the 770M can;

- play on maxed out with Starcraft 2

- play Far Cry 2 maxed out, FC3 maxed with the resolution on 1980x

- Crysis 1 maxed out

- Crysis 2 maxed out with  resolution on 1980x with approx. 28 FPS. Playable.

The 870M should be able to beat all this quite a little.

Pity the G2 quality is not as good. You could get the slot-loading drive from the Z1 parts store? Same with the screen I guess. Still, nice machines.

HP Recommended

A bit of info in case anyone is interested, I've just installed a K4100M into a Z1 G1 with no issues, running the latest Nvidia drivers with no need for any tinkering or modification.

HP states that the Kx100Ms are only for the G2s, but since MXM3.1 is backwards compatible with MXM3.0 I figured it was worth a chance, and I was not disappointed.

HP Recommended

Hi, just wondering if anyone from these older posts have realised any developments or ideas on the old Z1? I posted a few questions here that some of you may be able to help with. Appreciate any insights, if you have a moment. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.