Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Z420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i have a z 420 madarbord

wonder if i can connect ''SAMSUNG 960 PRO '' through the pcie with a adapter like Mailiya M.2 PCIe And use it as a boot drive

want to install Windows 10-64 bit on it

Is it possible?

do i need some drive?

[By the way have not yet bought the SSD]

many thanks to answers:smileytongue:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@pinee wrote:

i have a z 420 madarbord

wonder if i can connect ''SAMSUNG 960 PRO '' through the pcie with a adapter like Mailiya M.2 PCIe And use it as a boot drive

Is it possible?

do i need some drive?

I  can confirm that a Samsung 950 Pro NVMe drives works fine as a boot drive in the Z420 as this is what I am using, so I the 960 Pro should also work fine.

I am also using one of those cheap PCIe -> m.2 cards and these work fine (Ali Express -> JEYI SK6), this one also supports m.2 Sata based drives on the same card. However, recently I have ordered another adapter card - one with a fan to help cooling the m.2 drive (something like this: http://www.ebay.pl/itm/M-Key-NVME-M-2-PCI-Express-4x-SSD-950-Pro-PM951-NGFF-to-PCI-e-Adapter-Fan-Coo... but order it on Ali Express for a much better price). I haven't yet recieved the card, but I think that its worthwhile to have the fan since m.2 drives can run pretty hot.

For the Samsung 950 Pro I am getting the following results:

Read 2,102 MB/s

Write 950 MB/s

The drive will work fine with the standard Microsoft NVMe drivers that come included in Windows but for best performance be sure to install Samsungs newest NVMe drivers - I think it is version 2.1 at the moment.

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40
HP Recommended

@pinee wrote:

i have a z 420 madarbord

Is it possible?

do i need some drive?

I  can confirm that a Samsung 950 Pro NVMe drives works fine as a boot drive in the Z420 as this is what I am using, so I the 960 Pro should also work fine.

I am also using one of those cheap PCIe -> m.2 cards and these work fine (Ali Express -> JEYI SK6), this one also supports m.2 Sata based drives on the same card. However, recently I have ordered another adapter card - one with a fan to help cooling the m.2 drive (something like this: http://www.ebay.pl/itm/M-Key-NVME-M-2-PCI-Express-4x-SSD-950-Pro-PM951-NGFF-to-PCI-e-Adapter-Fan-Coo... but order it on Ali Express for a much better price). I haven't yet recieved the card, but I think that its worthwhile to have the fan since m.2 drives can run pretty hot.

For the Samsung 950 Pro I am getting the following results:

Read 2,102 MB/s

Write 950 MB/s

The drive will work fine with the standard Microsoft NVMe drivers that come included in Windows but for best performance be sure to install Samsungs newest NVMe drivers - I think it is version 2.1 at the moment.

HP Recommended

wow tnx man!!!

very happy to hear you make my dey 🙂

so i guess mine

''SSD 960 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB''

will be around

3000 MB Read

1500 MB Write :smileysurprised:!!

the cooling Sounds a great idea.think i will go with a passive like this:

''PCI-E 4X for M.2 SSD ADAPTER Radiator version'' hope will be enough.

what do you think?

again thank you !

HP Recommended

@pinee wrote:

wow tnx man!!!

very happy to hear you make my dey 🙂

so i guess mine

''SSD 960 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB''

will be around

3000 MB Read

1500 MB Write :smileysurprised:!!

the cooling Sounds a great idea.think i will go with a passive like this:

''PCI-E 4X for M.2 SSD ADAPTER Radiator version'' hope will be enough.

what do you think?

again thank you !

The Samsung NVMe drives are a pricy but definietly noticeable and worthwhile upgrade. It is hard to go back to a standard SATA based SSD now.

I really like the passive cooling adapter card you linked, haven't seen that one before. The thermal pads and radiator design is what most of the OEM producers are using on their PCIe NVMe drive card solutions (Intel, HP, Plextor) so should be fine. 

For the card with the fan I ordered I will see how this performs once I get it. THe fan doesn't seem to offfer any speed control, so assuming it is a standard size, if it is too loud I will swap it out for a quality one (E.g. Noctua, Be Quiet etc.) and maybe add in a resistor so theat it runs at 7.5V speed instead of the standard 12V. ALso will need to check how 'fat' the fan is as I wouldn't want it to occupy more than a standard width PCIe slot. I will post an update one I get the card.

HP Recommended
MtothaJ
Could you please provide me with an instalation guide?, cause Im having problems installing the 960.
Greetings
Brian
HP Recommended

@Højmark wrote:
MtothaJ
Could you please provide me with an instalation guide?, cause Im having problems installing the 960.
Greetings
Brian

I have been reading threads in SSD section of the Overclockers forums on people having problems getting the 960 to boot on older hardware. It may be the case that the legacy bios oprom module present on the 950 is not longer present on the 960 hence the reported problems (no confirmation however at least from my readings).

I have however found this guide / workaround which may be worth trying in the meantime (using a bootloader from a USB stick to load the required drivers at startup):

https://audiocricket.com/2016/12/31/booting-samsung-sm961-on-asus-p6t-se-mainboard/

The instructions are pretty good, so this may be worth trying.

HP Recommended

Thanx MtothaJ, tho this line doesnt make any sence to me "CD to unpacked DUET folder"Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 16.20.18.png

HP Recommended

@Højmark wrote:

Thanx MtothaJ, tho this line doesnt make any sence to me "CD to unpacked DUET folder"Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 16.20.18.png

I cant see the attached picture (moderator has to approve it first) but CD is the DOS 'change directory' command. In other word go into / navigate to this directory using DOS commands.

So for example if you have the unpacked file located in a directory c:\file\hp you would do as follows

c: <press enter>

cd\   <press enter> 

cd file <press enter>

cd hp <press enter>

You will then be in the c:\file\hp  directory.

Strictly speaking the first two lines should not be necessary if you are already on the target disk and in the root  directory.

HP Recommended

Hello everyone! I have a 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD, and the Asus adapter Hyper M.2 X4 MINI. I cloned my current SSD WIN10 I see and I access to the 960 but if I put it as a boot disk (by disconnecting the other), the system will not start. Where am I wrong?

HP Recommended

It is this process here that is confusing me:

1. Download DUET here (md5sum 6c50e8a1a06e6665c81cdc7ac50cac57, VirusTotal scan log here)
  2. Verify md5sum and unpack it
  3. Plugin your USB stick
  4. Format your USB stick
  5. Open command line prompt (with admin privileges)
  6. CD to unpacked DUET folder
  7. Run CreateUSB.cmd DRIVE: (where DRIVE: is your DUET's USB stick drive letter)
  8. Watch out if CreateUSB.cmd command succeeded in all steps (it can fail when using GPT partition layout)
  9. Replug your USB stick
  10. Run CreateUSB.cmd DRIVE: UDK_X64 (where DRIVE: is your DUET's USB stick drive letter)
  11. Watch out if CreateUSB.cmd command succeeded in all steps (it can fail when using GPT partition layout)

Im not familiar with all the terms, at all.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.