Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP xw8400
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
I have an HP xw8400 Workstation. I read an article this week that stated more and more computers are being attacked at the Bios level, and once this occurs there's little you can do. The article suggested that you add a password to your Bios in order to prevent these attacks. So I went into Bios on my HP xw8400 Workstation (02.38 Rev. A 08 Dec 2010) and added a long secure password and logged out.

Now when the workstation boots, there are two problems:

1. When I press F10 to enter Bios when seeing the HP logo upon start up, I receive a black screen. No graphics or text is displayed. If I try to type the password after so many characters the computer will begin beeping. 

2. If I let the computer boot normally, the computer sees the SATA hard drive, but when it gets to the LSI Logic SAS Bios check on screen it shows: "MPT Boot ROM, no supported device found!" The boot process haults here. This wasn't happening before the password was added to Bios so it seems like the two events are directly related.

I would greatly appreciate any help that anyone can provide. Thanks in advance!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Removing the bios password reset jumper on the motherboard and resetting the bios/cmos solved the issue.

Hopefully this helps someone else.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I wanted to follow up on this post. Please let me know if you have any suggestions to get this xw8400 workstation up and running.

HP Recommended

Removing the bios password reset jumper on the motherboard and resetting the bios/cmos solved the issue.

Hopefully this helps someone else.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.