Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Z600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I bought a Z600 several years ago to future proof myself for a while. I'd now like to upgrade it as much as possible, but have no idea where to start.

I use my PC for website development, graphic design and audio editing.

The PC is getting a bit sluggish, although I do keep the C drive as clean of junk as possible - But do run some pretty intensive programs in my work.

What would the best and easiest upgrades be for someone who doesn't know much about the insides of a computer. I don't really want to be soldeing anything, but do feel comfortable opening it up and doing basic things such as swapping memory etc. I just have no idea what parts this computer needs.

I guess I need memory and perhaps a solid state HD. 
What parts would be suitable?

My partner works for HP and can help me source the parts but would require part numbers. Any help appreciated.

Motherboard:
      CPU Type                                          4x , 2133 MHz
      Motherboard Name                                  Unknown
      Motherboard Chipset                               Unknown
      System Memory                                     6128 MB
      BIOS Type                                         Unknown

CPU Properties:
      CPU Type                                          4x 
      CPUID CPU Name                                    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5506 @ 2.13GHz
      CPUID Revision                                    000106A5h

CPU Speed:
      CPU Clock                                         2129.39 MHz  (original: 2133 MHz)

Physical Memory:
      Total                                             6127 MB
      Used                                              4371 MB
      Free                                              1755 MB
      Utilization                                       71 %

Swap Space:
      Total                                             9795 MB
      Used                                              6168 MB
      Free                                              3627 MB
      Utilization                                       63 %

Virtual Memory:
      Total                                             15923 MB
      Used                                              10540 MB
      Free                                              5382 MB
      Utilization                                       66 %

Physical Address Extension (PAE):
      Supported by Operating System                     Yes
      Supported by CPU                                  Yes
      Active                                            Yes

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Your answers are fully explained in this forum already.  Please use the "This board-enter search" search method towards the top left.

You need to search for such things as "Z600 upgrade" and especially "Z600 boot block date" to learn the basics and see what version of the Z600 you have.

There are many great posts for you to review, and then come back with some final specific questions......

I can start with a couple of points..... you do want a SSD, and given that these are SATA II workstations I'd get a 300GB (or a 600 GB) Intel 320 series SSD as a first step, from eBay, new or used.  These SSDs last so long that used is really not an issue, in my experience.  And, for processors you also can buy used very reasonably off eBay.  It is a big waste of money to buy new processors.  Which processors you get (there is room on the motherboard for two) depends on the version of your motherboard, based on its boot block date (which you can easily find from entering BIOS).

If all of this sounds to be too much to do yourself then you may wish to farm out the project to a computer shop after you have made the decisions and purchases off eBay.

HP Recommended

The QuickSpecs are here. This has many of the part numbers.

However, this is a system that is almost 10 years old and your partner would have to come to the Workstation division (The one I work for) to get them and I can tell you that the chances are very slim as we regularly recycle old units.

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
HP Recommended

iMaxx,

Thanks for that version 2 QuickSpecs.  For this person he should know that version 2 contains processor information that covers the "version 1" of the Z600.  The version 17 of the QuickSpecs includes information for both the version 1 and version 2 of the motherboards (these two versions of the Z600 have different boot block dates).  That version 17 is available  HERE.

The later versions of the QuickSpecs (including out to version 51, the last I have) cover the version 2 of the motherboards.

So, for a person trying to upgrade their Z600 it is very important to know whether they have a version 1 or a version 2 of the motherboard (which can run different processors and different types of memory).  I encourage this individual to simply enter his BIOS and under the first tab of BIOS to note down his boot block date and provide that.

That is the starting point...... and then eBay is the next stop.  I agree that buying the latest new HP workstations is optimal, but not all high school or college students can do that and getting people into HP workstations at a young age is a worthy cause.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.