Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Business PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I’m planning on loading Windows 7 on my new Business PC are there any settings I need to change? What do I need to know?

I am an HP employee
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey Bill,

Windows 7 can be installed on some of the newer business PCs. There are some requirements and settings you should be aware of.

• First, you cannot install Windows 7 on a computer with a 7th generation processor.
  • You'll need to either change the TPM version on the PC or install a hotfix from Microsoft.
  • You must use legacy mode (non-UEFI) in the BIOS.
  • You need your own copy of Windows 7 and a license for Windows 10 Professional.

You can find steps and more information at http://www.hp.com/support/Windows7and10TPMFAQ

Thanks,
Wes

I am an HP employee.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hey Bill,

Windows 7 can be installed on some of the newer business PCs. There are some requirements and settings you should be aware of.

• First, you cannot install Windows 7 on a computer with a 7th generation processor.
  • You'll need to either change the TPM version on the PC or install a hotfix from Microsoft.
  • You must use legacy mode (non-UEFI) in the BIOS.
  • You need your own copy of Windows 7 and a license for Windows 10 Professional.

You can find steps and more information at http://www.hp.com/support/Windows7and10TPMFAQ

Thanks,
Wes

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thank you 

i fix my problem.

🙂 🙂 🙂 

hello 

thank 4 your reply 

let me pu you in my context

i have sccm 2012 and i have a HP Prodesk 600 G2  mt a brand new pc  and i want to create a wim windows 10 images because i have to deploy windows 10 in 15 pcs same.

i compile the laucher in a usb and i always have a error when i start creating the wim win10 in the sysprep phase.

Is there somthing i must do before.

yhanck 4 your help

HP Recommended

The files were most likely unpacked incorrectly while transfering to your thumb drive.  Depending on if you are using UEFI or BIOS on the computers you wish to install you need to install the correct bootloader installation.

I prefer YUMI which you can get here
https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

Rufus Bootloader is also a great tool 

https://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale

Both of these support UEFI and BIOS.  All you need to do is run, and select Windows 10, and select your clean Windows ISO.

If the ISO is corrupt it will not work and you will have to repair or rebuild it.

**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended

First, it is important to make sure that your pc has the requirements needed for Windows 7 installation.

HP Recommended

Depending on the era of when you bought your HP workstation you may have received a set of CDs, a set of DVDs, a USB stick, or even have a Recovery partition on the boot drive from which you can create a single "hard copy" of the installer media on an optical discs or a single USB stick.  These HP OEM COA Recovery media sets are very valuable and yet their value is usually not recognized and they get separated/lost/filed away and unavailable for emergency clean installs.  Keep them together and clearly identified for the specific workstation they came with.  Some will work with a small set of other workstations depending on the licensing.  Stay legal.

1.  Some of the HP workstations were sold to be Linux OS machines and there is an upload to BIOS of some codes that takes a "virgin" motherboard and converts it to one that will work with HP Linux install Recovery media, or with Windows install Recovery media.  If your Z420 was sold as a Linux one and you have Windows Recovery media that will not work.  Let's assume you have Windows media.

2.  The ZX20 workstations had a long run, and thus the media disc set you have may have been supplied as W7ProSP1, W7ProSP2, W8.xPro, etc.  The later ones usually had W8.xPro-to-W7Pro downgrade rights.  So, all could be used to upgrade from that to W10Pro.

3.  The media kits got better over time.... After a clean install before updates you can go to Control Panel/ Programs and Features utility and see the majority date there to be one that you can use to date your "kit".  The latest I currently have is something like 4/26/14.  I like that the best.

4.  Once you have a clean install from the kit you can make a single backup.... either DVD or USB.  I like to choose USB and it is very handy to have one physical USB stick for the future.  If you go to make another off your Recovery partition on your boot drive you will be denied.  However, an Acronis image of my USB stick allows me to clone that ad nauseum (but I don't.... it is just my favorite installer and I want a backup if needed).

5.  The media kit for a Z420 generally will work for the Z620 and Z820.

6.  The midia kit for a v1 ZX20 generally will work on a v2 ZX20 in my experience.

7.  These kits all need quite a bit of updating.  Google Ken Morley windows update or go  HERE.and read up on that:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/following-a-clean-install-windows-update-remai...

You basically do your install fully disconnected from the net, apply the specific Microsoft KB updaters in the order he describes from your little stash you download ahead of time, and then reconnect to the internet and the update process goes so very much faster and better.

8.  On a recent clean install during the post-connect-to-net phase during updating I had a resultant disconnect from the net... the NIC/LOM driver broke.  The solution to that is to have the latest HP-approved ZX20 NIC/LOM driver pre-downloaded.  Run that after doing the Ken installs but before connecting to the net the first time.  This should protect you from that issue.  For me I just ran it after I lost connection and that got me going again.

9.  If you Recovery kit gives you W7ProSP1 there is a SP2 updater you can download from MS... you can get an iso that will let you run a single CD and the process will detect your build and update automatically the right stuff.  Or, if you know what you're going towards (W7Pro64SP1) you can just download that single updater.  There even is a Microsoft SP2 updater that they don't want to be called a SP2 updater.  This all can be done before connecting to the internet the first time.

10.  Once you have a clean install from the kit and updated you can make an Acronis image capture from that and keep it as a "root level" clean install to save you from all that work.  AFTER that capture you can run the Recovery method to get yourself a USB stick to start from (but your Acronis image capture is very much quicker to use for creating a clean install from over that).

11.  Usually a clean install clone from an image built with the HP Recovery media on one of these ZX20 workstations will work on either of the other two.  The installer media is made for that, and this assumes all 3 are properly licensed to use W7Pro64.  That licensing is present in the BIOS area of the firmware when that motherboard undergoes the "tattoo" or "branding" process at the factory, or at the home site during install of a never used "virgin" motherboard.  That is a complex process usually reserved for trained HP engineers, but it can be done by those "skilled in the art".  The codes are on specific labels on the workstations... that is a whole other topic.

12.  A huge value of these HP OEM COA clean installs is that they can be captured as an image, such as with Acronis, and then cloned to another same-type workstation and this cloned install will self-activate if the new workstation is properly licensed to use that HP OEM COA license code.  Stay legal.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.