Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 400 G1 DM.
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My ProDesk 400 G1 DM has crashed; W7-pro was pre-installed, but I don't have a recovery dic, only a W8.1 upgrade, which I don't want to use. I dont have a licence key for W7 (there was no Windows-sticker on the PC).

Can someone provide me with a recovery disc or maybe teel me how to recover the W7 licence key, so I can download new W7 from microsoft website?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You would be able to install W8.1 but not be able to downgrade to W7, because you do not have (and cannot get) a W7 product key,

You will need to contact HP business PC support in the Netherlands and they should be able to get you the W7 recovery media you need.

I have an old HP business PC phone directory.  I have no idea if the number in the Netherlands is still valid...

http://h50146.www5.hp.com/lib/doc/manual/desktop/business_desktops/6005us_332630_007.pdf

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

You would only be able to get a W7 recovery disk set from HP, as W7 was installed at the factory via the W8.1 Pro downgrade rights to W7 Pro.  

So the product key is for W8.1 Pro which is in the BIOS, and that won't work to reinstall W7.

If you live in the USA/Canada, call HP at this number, and order a set of W7 Pro recovery media for your PC.

1-800-334-5144

Have the serial number of the PC handy to give to the customer services rep.

HP Recommended
I live in The Netherlands.
Can I install the W8.1 (if I have the correct serial number) and then downgrade to W7 myself?
Is there an address in The Netherlands?
HP Recommended

Hi:

You would be able to install W8.1 but not be able to downgrade to W7, because you do not have (and cannot get) a W7 product key,

You will need to contact HP business PC support in the Netherlands and they should be able to get you the W7 recovery media you need.

I have an old HP business PC phone directory.  I have no idea if the number in the Netherlands is still valid...

http://h50146.www5.hp.com/lib/doc/manual/desktop/business_desktops/6005us_332630_007.pdf

HP Recommended
Thanks.
I'll try that.
Topic can be closed.
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.