Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello!

I wonder if you can recommend any reliable and reasonably UPS for this machine? If tehre are some users with Z420 here who have their own UPS working - it woudl be so lonvely to hear what you think!

Dima

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended
Can you provide more info about your configuration?

A Z420 has a 600W power supply by faceplate, but depending on exact config (processor, graphics cards, hard drives, etc) may only use as little as 130W even when operating at "peak" performance. Also, what other devices (such as monitors) are present?

Also, what are your goals for the UPS? i.e....
How much uptime do you need after the power outage?
Is your power grid often subject to brownouts or rolling blackouts where power conditioning features would be required in addition to blackout failover?
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.....well my PC configuration is as follows:

HP Z420 Workstation (WM435EA)

Processor

• Intel® Xeon® E5-1650 (3.20 GHz, 12 MB cache, 6 cores)

Chipset Intel® C602 Form factor Convertible Minitower Memory, standard: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 ECC Unbuffered RAM Memory slots 8 DIMM   As for video I have PNY NVS 300 - 2D CARD with no fan....
  Display is LG 21 inch....
  I woudl need to filter out spikes in power and be able to have the time to save unfinisghed work - like 3 minutes.
  I hope that clarifyes it more)
  Will wiat to hear what you think,   Dima

HP Recommended

anyone with a similar machine can please comment?????? I wonder what kind of the UPS you woudl recommend!??

Tons of thanks in advance!

Dima

HP Recommended

We use Back-UPS ES 750G on our Z820, works like a charm and give about 12 minutes of battery life.

Might be overkill for Z420, but it's not that expensive...

HP Recommended

thanks for the suggestion!!!)) I wonder how large the watt output should be for a ups to support my z420? I am a little bit less physics-savvy))

HP Recommended

anyone else usinf a UPS with their z worstation can recommend one?

HP Recommended

According to HP Quickspecs, a reference system with the same processor and RAM as you have will use, at most, 300W of sustained power when the system is at its most stressed.

Based on this, I'd recommend a 1000va UPS battery. That'll give you about 15 minutes of runtime, enough to save anything open and do a graceful shutdown.  You could use a 750va battery, but you'd get, at most, 7-8 minutes of runtime.  Keep in mind, too, that this runtime is when the battery is brand new, so it halves by about the 2.5 year mark.  That's why I recommend getting 1000va, so that in 2.5 years you'll be at 7 minutes as opposed to possibly under 3 minutes with a 750va.

To filter out occassional spikes in power, you'll want to ideally have a UPS that's at least line-interactive, if not online conversion of power. These features will ensure that the power fed to your system is filtered and kept at a constant sine wave.

Products I'd recommend would be in APC's "SmartUPS" product line, Cyberpower's "AVR" or "PFC" product lines, Tripplite's "Smart" product lines, or Eaton's "5S" and "5110" product lines.

I can't recommend an exact product because I'm not sure what country you're in (the part # of the workstation tells me you're not in the US, you're somewhere in the EMEA region), but if you call up any competent IT sales retailer in your region and tell them you want a 1000va line-interactive (also known as "automatic voltage regulation") UPS, you'll get what you need.

HP Recommended
thank you for your repcious reply.....I wonder what you think of this model:

APC Back-UPS Pro 900VA (BR900GI)

Do you think it can c=comnfortably hold the charge for 10 minute on high load on this pc? (E5-1650 CPU)

Thanks!!!

Dima
HP Recommended

You'll probably get about 10-12 minutes when the unit is brand new on a 900va battery.

Keep in mind that at 2.5 years, your life will be about half that (5-6 minutes).  If you want to maintain 8-10 minutes, you probably should replace the battery component of the UPS every 2 years.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.