Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Hello message board!

Just a few questions here I can not seem to find out via Google, manuals, and reading other forum posts...

We are attempting to utilize a t610 with the Linux based o.s. and are running into a few hurdles...

I have seen on "Windows" based thin clients, after you make a change to something, you must "Commit" the changes...

Is there a way to do this on a Linux box? It seems that the o.s. partition is Read Only??

Also, is there a way to navigate files and folders on this type of thin client?

I see the terminal in "Admin" mode and I can kind-of nav files and folders through the text editor, but I am at a semi-loss doing things this way...

I know this may be a stupid question, but is there a way to re-image this thin client to a "Windows" based o.s.?

The main problem I am experiencing is an add-on/extension in firefox is not "sticking" in my firefox browser....

I have installed the extension many times, and after I restart the browser, it is gone and my settings are reverted to "original"...

I am taking a guess here, but I am guessing every time this client "reboots" it is booting to an image??

One last question, is there any "manuals" for these Linux based clients?

I see most or all of the helps seems to be geared towards Windows, and would just like a reference...

Thanks for reading!

Brandon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you're talking about the HP ThinPro OS-

Before you can make changes to the file system, you need to run this command from the terminal - "fsunlock". When you're done, "fslock" locks the file system again. There isn't another file explorer tool included that I'm aware of in ThinPro. Command line and the notepad tool are the only real ways to navigate the file system. If you're looking for help with something, keep in mind it is basically a stripped-down version of Ubuntu, with some extra utilities and GUI provided by HP. The nuts and bolts are the same as an Ubuntu build so I've gotten quite a bit of insight from Ubuntu forums online for problems that I've had.

As for your browser extensions issue, depending on how you're doing this, you can configure connections to allow them to configure their own settings, or to use HP ThinPro settings. If you haven't allowed Firefox to create and use its own settings in the file system, nothing you change inside the browser will stick. I haven't tried installing a browser extension but I'm pretty sure that's where your problem is.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

If you're talking about the HP ThinPro OS-

Before you can make changes to the file system, you need to run this command from the terminal - "fsunlock". When you're done, "fslock" locks the file system again. There isn't another file explorer tool included that I'm aware of in ThinPro. Command line and the notepad tool are the only real ways to navigate the file system. If you're looking for help with something, keep in mind it is basically a stripped-down version of Ubuntu, with some extra utilities and GUI provided by HP. The nuts and bolts are the same as an Ubuntu build so I've gotten quite a bit of insight from Ubuntu forums online for problems that I've had.

As for your browser extensions issue, depending on how you're doing this, you can configure connections to allow them to configure their own settings, or to use HP ThinPro settings. If you haven't allowed Firefox to create and use its own settings in the file system, nothing you change inside the browser will stick. I haven't tried installing a browser extension but I'm pretty sure that's where your problem is.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply! fsunlock is exactly what I was looking for!!

bpwillia wrote: 

If you haven't allowed Firefox to create and use its own settings in the file system, nothing you change inside the browser will stick.

Where would I go to "allow firefox" to create and and use it's own settings??

Thanks again for the reply,

Brandon

HP Recommended

Login as Admin

go to control Panel | Advanced | X-terminal

enter regeditor

Open Connection type \ Firefox | General | enableuserchange

Both values need to be set to 1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.