Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

I have several T610's  getting random blue screen of death 0x000000f4 (0x00000003) after thin client not used for a few hours.  Win7e

I'm running the HP image, with latest BIOS and latest USB 3.0 drivers.

Anyone else come across this issue??

thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Being the originator of this thread, i thought i'd mention how i got around my issue to help anyone else that migth have this issue.

3-4months ago, we instructed our qty16  T610 thin Client users to NOT use the blue usb ports behind the Thin Clients.

After doing this,   BSOD's are gone!

Those  blue usb ports, you guessed it, USB 3.0 ports, seem to be creating the BSOD's on our end.  (even with latest driver dated July 2013)

I have a user today that had a BSOD.   Sure enough when i asked them to see if they were using the "blue ports" the answer was yes.  Someone had installed a wireless mouse on the USB3.0 blue ports over the weekend.  I removed it, put it on the regular USB2.0 ports (the black ports) and rebooted.   All is good now.  (and i'll report back if BSOD's show up again)

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

0X000000F4 usually means that filesystem is corrupted or the drive is getting bad.

Do you use write filter? If not, it's possible that your flash is reaching its maximum life. Flash drive has a limited number of writes.

HP Recommended

maximum life?? This Thin Client is just around 6 months old.   (write filter, you mean that lock at the bottom of the taskbar? Mine is RED, and unlocked)

whats next?!?

HP Recommended

Write filter is represented by the lock icon on the tray bar (Green: enabled, Red: disabled, yellow: there is changes/commit pending - if system is rebooted all changes are lost).

Unfortunately, the flash drive life is determined by the number of write cycles on it. The more writes the drive has, the faster it fails. This is due to the flash drive chip limitation.

HP Recommended

Hi guys,

I would hope that it was impossible to "wear out" a flash unit after six months, but running a thin client with the write filter off is bad practice. The write filter is designed to be off for a short period of time while the unit is configured and then turn on and left on.

The %temp% variable points to the Z:\ drive witch on older images (V252 and before) is 32 MB but on current images is 128 MB. If you have large temp files being created in the %temp% directory, that may be filling the Z: drive. Being a RAM disk, it is cleared on reboot. 

Are you running any local apps or is it just a pass through RDS/Citrix/View client?

A Thin Client management product like HPDM should be used to deploy an image to the device, or my personal favorite, just a bunch of settings to a virgin factory image and then lock the write filer.

If you are running Citrix, make sure you are running V3.3 Cu1 or later as this had a fix for a memory leak that could cause stability issues in some cases. I have not heard it causing BSOD though.

I strongly suggest you reimage the device with HP Factory V286 WES7 image, configure and lock the write filter.

Regards

Andrew S

HP Recommended

I know I played around with the "temp" drive and switched from Z: to C: as default on SOME of the units.

If its set as Z: drive, then you say it could be causing the BSOD's when the RAM drive is full?

If they are set as C: drive, would this eliminate the possibility of BSODs?

I'm going to check all 18 units and see what they are set at...

HP Recommended

Sorry for confusion.

I would stongly advise DO NOT change the variable away from Z:

If you have some local app that is filling up Z:\ then fix the application. If the Z: drive needs a little more space, there is a control panel application to set the ram drive to a larger size, but you are stealing memory away from the operating system.

If you have a local application that needs space on the Z: drive for temporary files, there is a good chance it also needs operating system memory.

So leave the temp pointing to Z: and please leave the write filter on.

Resore factory image and make sure you are using HP Factory image WES7 V286.

Use the HP Device Manager software to automate the deployment of you settings.

Regards

Andrew Stuckey

HP Recommended

I've got the same issue on four of these T610s at one of our clients. I did some of the same things other users mention here. Only about six months old. All four randomly doing the same thing. I've restored each from a factory image that I took from a new unit out of the box. Found that they were not saving crash dumps, and that the event logs were being written to the RAM drive, so they were being deleted each time, making troubleshooting more fun. 

These units are being used as Point of Sale time clocks, and nothing else. Users clock in and out using them. We needed small systems to serve this purpose, and I have a real problem with the possibility that the drives could be going bad so rapidly, so I'm beginning to wonder if they need to be replaced with Dell micro systems. We put in Dell workstations at the same time, and naturally there have been zero problems with the workstations.

I've already spent more time troubleshooting these thin clients that would be reasonably expected on new systems not performing high-end processing. 

HP Recommended

Hi bdaniels,

We need more information before we can really assist beyond generic suggestions.

You mention you have 4 devices with BSOD issues.

How many of the same devices do you have?

Are they all doing the same thing?

Have you swapped the devices with working ones to see if the issue follows the function or follows the device?

There are only about 1,000,000 BSOD reasons. Some of the information in the BSOD message would be useful to suggest areas to look at for the issue.

The thin client will not save event logs or crash dumps. This is by design and is not in itself a failure.

Please start by restoring the current HP Factory image (should be V286) rather than anything you have captured from the original machine. The factory image can be sourced from HP Support and Drivers web site.

The Windows Embedded operating system is built for a small number or a dedicated task and not designed for numbers of file system changes or large amounts of temporary files. As the system is storing rather than writing any change data to the C: drive between reboots, large numbers of data change to the C: drive can cause the system to Blue screen. I suspect you are experiencing this issue. 

I would also like to confirm that you have the write filter still enabled. The device is designed to operate with the Write Filter enabled. It should only be enabled for short periods of time for Administration purposes. It should never be available to a user with the Write Filter disabled.

Just some suggestions to get you started.

If you do suspect a hardware fault, please log a case to get the devices replaced, but I suspect some of the answers to the questions above will help to point you towards isolating the issue.

Regards

Andrew S.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem, and I have the write filter off on all Thin Clients, maybe that's the cause of the problem.

Why you stongly advise DO NOT change the variable away from Z: ?

I have changed to C: on all Thin Clients, and a process deletes all temporary files on each computer reboot.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.