Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z840
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello,

I just intalled a titan X on my HP Z840 and the workstation wont boot and beeps 6 times (gpu warning). The fan does not spin. I'm wondering how to diagnose this problem? Could it be that titan X will not work on my HP z840? I have a 1125w power supply which should be more then enough.

Please help,

Thank you

f12f9bed-a20b-4aa1-9f72-9ecf3eb6a67d.jpg 

8c34dc3d-213c-45a2-aff5-e48406390f0e.jpg

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

I have 3 Z840 with at least 1 Titan X in each of them. They should boot up with no problem. I had similar problem when I only connect 1 6pin to 6pin and 1 6pin to 8pin. Later I changed it to 1 6pin to 6pin and 2 6pin to 8pin and the problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. My Titan x was defective, new one worked at first try.

HP Recommended

Hi - how did you get the GeForce to work - I thought the Z840 only has 6 pin power and the GeForce needs an 8 pin?

HP Recommended

Hi - how did you get the GeForce to work - I thought the Z840 only has 6 pin power and the GeForce needs an 8 pin?

I bought the Titan X (Pascal) and put it in my Z440. The Z440 has two six pin power cables just as the Z840 so i bought an adapter. So one six pin becomes an eight pin power cable. It works as ecpected and is cheap. No adapter is included with the card.

AFAIK it is possible to just use the two six pin power cable but i am not aware what the downside might be.

adapter.PNG

HP Recommended

Thanks for the feedback. I am currently running a Quadro K5200 but I feel the new Titan will outperform. Its strange that HP only include 6 pin power supplies...

HP Recommended

I am currently running a Quadro K5200 but I feel the new Titan will outperform.

I used a Nvidia GTX 980 and the Titan X (Pascal) blew that card away totally.

I edit video in Adobe Premiere Pro CC and all video filters i use are CUDA accelerated, iow the graphic cards is important for great performance. I did a small test and this is the results and made me happy that i bought the Titan X (Pascal):

One hour timeline rendered out to QuickTime, Cineform, 1920x1080:

Graphic card: GTX 980
A: 1 hour 4K on timeline scaled down to 1080, Lumetri Color added: 1852 Seconds
B: 1 hour 1080, Lumetri Color added: 1929 Seconds

Graphic card: Titan X Pascal
A: 1 hour 4K on timeline scaled down to 1080, Lumetri Color added: 1044 Seconds
B: 1 hour 1080, Lumetri Color added: 1080 Seconds

HP Recommended
I use Pix4D to process drone imagery to create a variety of deliverables including point clouds, ortho mosaics etc.
HP Recommended

No ones answered the question that the z840 only comes with one 6pin power cable avail. I have the same issue, so getting an 8 pin adapter still doesn't solve it for z840 owners who only have 1 6 pin avail. How did you guys who have a z840 get another power cable? Also, I have  a standard power brick that 800watts something and not the 1000plus. Will the Titan X pascal still work with my system? Thanks.

HP Recommended

>No ones answered the question that the z840 only comes with one 6pin power cable avail.

The Z800, Z820 and Z840 comes with two (2) 6-pin connectors. The second one is attached inside the chassis near the HDD´s in the frons side of the chassi and can be trixky to find if you don´t know where it is, but it is indeed there.

Yes, the card will work with the 800 watt PSU.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.