Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thnx for the answer.

Which xw6400 motherboard HW revisions are know to work?

Which xw6600 are known good?

Two E5160 processors need 2 heat sinks, so additional investment ....

Maybe you can post your motherboard HW revisions which are known to work.

Thnx.

HP Recommended

I tried to come up with a reliable pattern for the xw6400s and gave up on that..... if it works reliably then I know the motherboard works with those quad cores.  If not I use two E5160 as stated.

For the xw6600 I've never found a motherboard that would not take two of those fastest quad cores I described for you.

HP Recommended

Did you try different E5345 in a xw6400? Maybe they are quite on the end of a spec and processer 1 works while processor 2 doesn't.

I've multiple of them so do you think it is worth a try?

Thnx.

HP Recommended

Sure it is, but what I found is if that one worked two would too.  And if one did not work another would not too.

I only buy that latest sSpec code E5345, so I've had multiple identical ones to dink with.

The best way to test is only use one at a time.  That will save you time and possible confusion.  Assuming you don't have one of those plastic processor covers figure out some nonconductive way to protect the pins of the second socket while you are working on the first (CPU0) in your experiments.

It is truly possible that a processor might have some bad component that might predispose to this error message, but I've always seen that the issue is with the particular board and not the processor.  Remember, HP never supported upgrading processors in these workmz stations so don't blame them for this issue...... they did support adding a second identical processor.  So, us upgrading to faster processors is our own deal, and we're lucky it works as well and reliably as it does.

The xw6600 does not have this issue at all..... I've always been able to put in two of the fastest quad cores that HP certified for that.  It turns out all of the medical software we run does not benefit from 2 quad cores versus 2 dual cores, so lately I've liked the added "snap" two faster dual cores gives us (but its only a small benefit and not something that many would notice).  The fastest dual cores run faster than the fastes quad cores, a common situation.  

Of interest, for the xw6600 fastest processors the cost on initial release for each fastest dual core was higher than for each fastest quad core..... it must be quite a bit harder to make faster than more.

HP Recommended

I'm having the error even with only one processor (socket 0). I don't haven a second CPU cooler so I can't try that out.

What's your experience with only one CPU?

Might putting it into socket 1 work?

Thnx

HP Recommended

Time to get two E5160 processors, the sSpec I posted earlier, and buy a second heatsink/fan.

Two is well worth the cost.... those processors are so very cheap used off eBay now.  You can use either a heatsink/fan from the xw6400/xw8400 or the xw6600/xw8400 as long as it is not the double tall double fan type.

The xw6400/xw8400 generation of heatsink/fan have same number but ending in -001, 2, or 3.  The ones that end in -003 have one of the heat pipes missing on purpose..... I like the -001 or 2 better as a result, or the ones from the xw6600/xw8600 generation.

You'll be very happy with two of those faster dual cores......

HP Recommended

Thnx, 2 sockets (2*2=4 cores in total) works well without any problem (memtest86+ single and SMP, prime95 maximum heat).

For completeness the partnumbers:

xw6400 xw6600 xw8400 xw8600 398293-001 (4 heat pipes)

xw6400 xw6600 xw8400 xw8600 398293-003 (3 heat pipes)

xw6600 xw8600 - 462784-001

I ordered 2x the 398293-001 but got 2x 398293-003 (and a price reduction).

Temperature is fine even with only 3 heat pipes although one CPU has higher temperature 5-10° (max. ~70° which is fine I guess under full load).

BTW: Any ideas to reduce fan noise (CPU and RAM cooling)?

BTW2: With 2x8GB RAM modules I get the following error with only one of the two modules:

203-Memory module failed self-test and failing rank was disabled slot 1

(also on slot 2)

Any ideas?

HP Recommended

You are correct about the -003 version of the heatsink..... each heatpipe is independent of the others, and they are the same length and U-shaped.  Milled into the bottom aluminum of all versions of those heatsinks are 4 grooves, and for the -003 version HP just left one of the heatpipes out (so that one end groove is empty).  Three total heatpipes is usually more than enough, as you have found.  eBay sellers don't know this difference so I like to buy the -002 version best because it has 4 heatpipes and the newer version of the fan, which is the same as used also on the xw6600/xw8600 heatsink that fits too, and is made by Foxconn.

Fans noise.... The memory fan in the xw6400 is 80mm and that in the xw6600 is 92mm.  The black plastic shroud for each of those will fit in both workstations.  So, I like getting a quieter xw6600 black plastic memory shroud/92mm fan and use that instead.  I also add a Noctua 4-wire resistor based fan speed reducer to that.  The memory fan plug ends are PWM-standard so that adapter plugs right in.  You can use a LNA or a ULNA adapter..... look that all up in here, because I've posted on that before.  You also can swap out the dual rear chassis fan unit from a xw6400 for the quieter corresponding dual fan unit from a xw6600.  Those are plug and play.

8 gb memory sticks..... the memory controller on the xw6400 is same as on the xw8400, but different from the xw6600 (which is same as on the xw8600).  The xw8600 is officially able to run 8GB sticks, and I did the experiment of whether the same xw8600 8GB sticks would work perfectly on my xw6600 builds.  They did, but not reliably in my xw6400 builds.  So, for the xw6400 my advice is to dump your 8GB sticks and get 4 matching 4GB HP used sticks off eBay.  I like the Samsung silver, Elpida black, Nanya black, and Hynix silver ones for 4GB sticks best.  Plus, Dan_WGBU (our HP engineer who helps a lot) points out that you should fill all slots with identical sticks to maximize your memory controller's performance.  16GB total via 4 x 4GB sticks for a xw6400 should keep you happy.

For an eBay search you want the ones with the official HP sticker and either of these part numbers:

398708-061

398708-561

HP Recommended

I have already 4*4GB in that maschine which work well but I got 2*8GB from an ebay like plattform but that didn't work.

Can you please post the link to the fans, there is no link at "here".

Thnx

HP Recommended

Sorry..... you'll need to use the search box for the forum to find that.  The xw6600 memory cooling shroud and fan have their part number in my post earlier in this thread, page 1 of 2.... it has a picture of the shroud and fan so should be easy to find.

...."in here" was not meant to include a link.  The search box searches this forum only, and is a great tool to learn how to use.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.