Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
XW8600
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello, i have a HP XW8600 workstation with integrated LSISAS 3080X-R hba. I tried update firmware on this controller using sasflash utility under DOS, after utility says me "firmware download complete, resetting controller" computer was stuck, then i rebooted computer. After that controller does not recognized, i tried command sasfalsh -o -f then utility says "download firmware failed", i also tried command sasflash -o -resetall, then utility stucks on "resetting controller". What can i do to correct this situation?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello,

Which firmware did you try to flash and where did you obtain it from? I can't find an updated SAS firmware for the xw8600 on HP's support site (but then I can't find the BIOS updates any more either...)

Regards,

James

HP Recommended

I seem to have done a similar kind of thing. I used fw comming from IBM for (apperently not) this controller. The difference is: I used the 'ignore vendor' command to get it done.

Now my SAS BIOS looks at a device sitting on PCI bus 11, but the windows driver sees a controller on PCI bus 17. And so does the MegaRAID Storage Manager.

The thing is: I cannot seem to find ANY .fw file for this controller on the HP site. I do keep running into a document on the HP site mentioning the .fw for this controller.

I would be so helped out if someone could use (from the OS) sasflash to ceate a FW backup file form a working XW8600 SAS controller and send it to me somehow. I think that will be the only way to obtain the correct firmware.

I am still able to flash the controller firmware with the wrong .fw file. So I'm quite sure I will be able to do so with the right file.

Another thing that does not become clear for me somehow, is the fact that there's a lot of talk about the XW8600 having a 1068e B1 chip, but I could only use a .fw file for the 1068 B1 without the 'e'. If there's anyone with a xw8600, please let me know what kind of controller your system tells you you are having?

Thanks very much in advance. It seems to me this might take a long time to be followed up on, but I'll be patient. I've got all drives hooked up to the Intell controller now. But the machine was so much more 'snappy' with the RAIDs connected to the SAS controller.

HP pavilion dv8-1080ed, i7 (8GB)
HP XW8600 / Dual Xeon (16GB)
HP XW4400 / Intel Dualcore (4GB)
HP Recommended

I obtained firmware from LSI website for controller LSISAS3080X that have same chip as a integrated 1068 B1. On IBM site i could not find PCI-X controller on same chip.

HP Recommended

I'd track down Bense via this link which is this:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/BenseBuilt-XW8600/t...

Bense, as you will see, has done things with the xw8600 that no one else has.  If anyone can help you on this issue it likely will be him.  It sounds like you may have found a firmware updater for an on-PCIe LSI card, and applied it to your on-motherboard LSI chipset.

I think he may have finished up his xw8600 work, and it is frustrating that his great pictures are no longer part of his posts but he is a very helpful guy and has some contact threads you'll find in there.

Give him my best.......

Scott

HP Recommended

In firs message I gave not a full information. Firs I obtain firmware on LSI website for LSISAS3080X-R controller that have same chip as a integrated on XW8600, second I flash the IT version firmware and it's done sucessfull, third I have wanted to flash the IR version. And on this step I have a stuck. SASFLASH says me that controller need to donload firmware, when I tell name firmware file SASFLASH says "download firmware failed" and I dont know what I must do.

HP Recommended

Bense will know.... track him down.

HP Recommended

Well ok, now, more than 1 year later I found sulution: LSI corp. make utility named "lsiutil", and this utility can reflash controller in failed state, sasflash just sucks. But why they dont offer to download it, another utility "mptutil" for old fashion scsi's avaible from their site.

Now next question: on new firmware ports 0-3 not avaible, on original fw all ports enabled, why, because its  some difference in fw images that configures IO pins on controller, I will found it, i guess...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.