Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Z420 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I recently acquired a Z420 Workstation. I have flashed the BIOS from 3.88 to 3.90, I have noticed that there doesn't seem to be any automatic fan control settings and the CPU package is getting to 80 degrees during benchmark testing. I have cleaned and changed out the TIM. I can increase the speed manually in the BIOS. But is that relly the solution? Shouldn't this have fan throttling? I have yet to update the firmware. Additionally, dose anyone know the safe maximum operating temperature for this CPU?

And yes. I applied the TIM correctly. 😉 The fans just not moving quickly enough. Cools nicely when i crank the fan manually. Thanks for your input!! 🙂

E5-1650 3.2Ghz
16GB 1333 2x8
RAID0 OCZ SSDs
Windows 10 pro
Nvidia GTX970SC
4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

As is the case with the Z400 the Z420 workstations run the less expensive but hot processors when compared to the Z600/Z620.  Your processor is a 130W max TDP, so you presumably already have what would be considered a "Performance" heatsink/fan.

I use HWMonitor from CPUID.com, free version, to view temps and fan RPMs.... how well that works for you will be determined by the chips on the motherboard.  There is a setting in BIOS that lets you raise fan speeds in steps, but that may not raise the heatsink fan speed for the processor.  Thus, maybe you want to add a front cooling fan to add in more airflow through the case.  There are official and "ghetto mod" ways to do that, but there is a motherboard header, 4 pin, for that fan at bottom front corner of the motherboard.  I like to use HP parts where possible, and you may be able to find the correct black plastic fan holder and HP-tuned PWM fan.

Sometimes the heatsink "blades" get partially obstructed by lint hidden behind the fan, hard to see, but taking off the fan and cleaning that out can make a big difference, in my experience.  It is amazing how much fur can build up if one has pets and you keep the workstation on the floor.  Raise it up on blocks at least 8" to help with that, or up on the desk.

HP Recommended
Thanks for the reply. The system is surplus and shiny new. The heatsink and fan cool perfectly when the fan speed is manually increased. My question is not nessary about how to make it cool better, but if the system has a configuration for automatic fan throttling. If so. Why is it not increasing speed when the CPU heats up. I have done some research and concluded that the E5-1650 has a max temperature of 91c. I have set the idle speed to level 3 in the bios. This keep the cpu in the high 60s low 70s at full load. I still think something is fishy! Bandaid applied. Still looking for answers. 😉
HP Recommended

GeneralGPU wrote:

Additionally, dose anyone know the safe maximum operating temperature for this CPU?

Run a program like CoreTemp, which shows the maximum CPU junction temperature Tj max.  This value can be different for each type of CPU.   Itried CPUID HWMonitor, and it shows CPU core temperatures, but does not give the Tj max value. 

The E5 CPUs are designed to run at high temperatures for maximum performance.  To put is briefly, the limit of performance is determined by the CPU die maximum temperature Tj max.  The higher the frequency, and the more the cores are used, the higher the temperatures.  I have run many systems, for months at a time, at 100% CPU usage, and the CPU core temps were up to 10 deg. C. below Tj max, using the HP CPU heatsinks.  (Note:  if one removes the CPU heatsink, always use fresh thermal paste, otherwise CPU temps will be hotter than they should be)

If the CPU has a Tj max of 91C, for example, it is OK to run the the CPU at 80C for extended periods.  Intel throttles CPU speeds if they get too hot.  Increasing the CPU fan speed manually can reduce temperatures, but the fans will be noisier.  Some users like to have quieter systems, so it is normal to see "high" cpu temps, but a "high" CPU temp number by itself does not mean much without knowing the Tj max.  (Note:  Tj max is different than Tcase) 

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HP.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you problem was solved. This helps other forum readers.
HP Recommended
Yes.. TJ max is 91. So I feel ok with the cpu in the 70s. Thanks for the input. Still surprised that the systems fans aren't adaptive. 😉
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.