Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Z440
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, we are trying to install a Z440 with a GTX1070 together with a HP Thunderbolt card (the Thunderbolt will only be used for external hard drives, no graphics). There will also be a Blackmagic Decklink card in this Z440.

I had a hard time finding a GTX1070 that could go into slot 5, but I finally did find one. My idea was to then use the thunderbolt card in slot 3, as it is said it should be mounted. The cable from the thunderbolt card did however stick up from the motherboard so much that I couldn't put the GTX1070 back into slot 5. The cover for the fan on the GTX1070 was reaching the connector from the thunderbolt card, making it imposible to lock in place.

So, question now is. Did anyone try to use the Thunderbolt card in slot 5, or other then slot 3? As I said we will only use it to connect external hard drives. We will not use it for graphics in any form. If it works I could just put GTX1070 in slot 2 and all is fine.

Best regards.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

So, hi again guys (it is me Rob2221, but for some reason I couldn't get back in on this forum as that and had to make a new "User name").

I tried to install the Thunderbolt card in slot 5 and just started the computer with a Thunderbolt drive dock that had a SSD connected. All work just fine. My guess is if anyone ever need to install the Thunderbolt card into slot 5 I can now say it is doable. Maybe the spec that says you have to use PCI slot 3 has something to do with if you will use the Thunderbolt also for displays, something we will not do. We only need it for external drives and raids (for video edtiting). 

Best,

Rob2221 and Rob2222

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.