Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Z440
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Recently I purchased a Z440 workstation directly from HP with a Z-Cooler installed, but it seems to be acting in an odd manor. When the computer is on, the cooler is quiet, but when the computer goes to sleep, the cooler turns on and off every few minutes. When it turns on, it makes a popping noise through the audio system, and spins up noisily.

I ran a thermocouple into it (taped it to the plastic housing of the cooler); the temperature has been ~75 to 80 deg F, running or sleeping.

It doesn't show up in device manager.

Does it need to go back to HP? I really really really do not want to ship away my computer.

TY,

-Mark

Sorry for posting here, but the website's menu wouldn't let me get beyond this topic level.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Mark,

The circumstances described must be in association with the Z-Cooler maintaining a lower temperature regardless.  Is there  a threshold temperature setting?

Windows hibernation mode seems problematic and the idea of the cooler running  off and on seems counter-intuitive to the term hibernation.   I've read so many posts to the effect that systems never wake up or become locked in sleep mode and so on, that long ago I quit using it. 

Saving energy and wear and tear on the components is to be encouraged, but in your example, the on and off cycling and in particular the switching noise also suggests some unforeseen circumstances that may well be more stressful on the system than simply idling. Perhaps there is a conflict with a performance  setting option in Control Panel / Power Options?

Hibernation was more important in the days of constantly spinning HD's and 225W GPU's,  but for a workstation today, you might try letting it idle- which will maintain the CPU temperature.  If the Z cooler is as quiet as claimed, idling may be less disconcerting than sudden on and off cycling.

Cheers,

BambiBoomZ

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.