Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi!

Having a problem with one of our Z820´s , on boot it displays an error message "Unable to load LSI Logic Corp MPT BIOS"

I have searched for bios/firmware files on the Z820 download page with no luck.

If i had those files I could try to flash the controller using sas2flsh. And perhaps solve my problem.

So my question for you here, how do I get the flashroms for the LSI SAS2308 onboard raidcontroller?

regards,

Lars

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

In the Download page for LSI SAS 2308/9212-4i Driver for Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit Editions), under System Requirements, it says:

- HP SoftPaq Number SP56144, "LSI SAS 9212-4i Firmware Utility", is also required with this SoftPaq. HP SoftPaq Number SP56144 can be downloaded from the HP website.

So, you can download the required firmware package using Windows Explorer from:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp56001-56500/

There you will find three items of importance: sp56144.cva (lists the relevant HP platforms for this software), sp56144.html (kind of Release Notes for the software), and sp56144.exe - the firmware package itself.

HP Recommended

thanks a bunch I will try this firmware when Im back at work.

/ Lars

HP Recommended

Hi!

Unfortunately it says the firmware is incompatible with the 2308 controller.

It says the Bios file is compatible but in order to flash the bios, it first requires a firmware download, i tried specifying the fw included in the HP SoftPaq Number SP56144.

Seems to me that firmware is for the "LSI SAS 9212-4i" controller only.

Guess my only option is to relace the motherboard if I cant find a correct FW, or, the controller might be broken?

Thanks so far anyway !

HP Recommended

As far as I am informed, the 2308 chipset matches the PCI-E card 9212, however you should contact two reliable sources of support in order to verify that the same firmware may be suitable for both platforms:

• HP support - I understand you own HP Z820 workstations so you are fully entitled to receive HP support.

Again, personally I gather from the various HP support sites for Z-series workstations that the chipset onboard matches the separate PCI-E controller card, but don't rely on my word on this. Make Sure!

HP Recommended
Any other add-on PCI(e) cards with BIOS in the system? Perhaps the Option ROM memory space is too crowded?
HP Recommended

Hi!

no other cards installed.

Since the error message is "Unable to load LSI Logic Corp MPT BIOS", I try to reflash the BIOS, but when i try that i get a message like this: "A firmware hostboot is required"

And also when trying to flash the firmware I get an error that it doesnt match this card.

So I think I need the correct firmware for the 2308 controller. But i cant find it.

/ Lars

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.