Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 3 (93 Views)

getting 5.25 hard drives into top two bays of chassis

Product Name: Z440
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Can anyone give me any pointers on how to get my 5.25 hard drives into the two top 5.2 bays of the HP 440 Chassis? I can't a seem to fit them around the CPU fan from the inside and the front plates don't seems to pop out easily.

Is there a trick i am missing?

Thanks for any help.

mosea

PhD Student
PhD Student
Message 2 of 3 (29 Views)

Re: getting 5.25 hard drives into top two bays of chassis

You really have 5.25" "hard drives"?

If you meant replacing a 5.25" optical drive you usually can unplug them and lift the locking lever and push them forward out the front of the case, and slip a new one in from the front.  The fit can be a bit tight.  You can find instructions on how to remove that front case part, but the design is intended to not require that.  I have removed the front face, very rarely, if a 5.25" optical drive was just too tight.

Sometimes the optical drive will have a single locking screw on the one easy access side (from inside the case) that you need to remove before you can slide it forward.  Most cases don't have room for you to mess with the OD from the rear (inside of the case) unless you remove the power supply first.

Honor Student
Message 3 of 3 (15 Views)

Re: getting 5.25 hard drives into top two bays of chassis

Hi SDH,

Thank you for your reply. 

Yes, i think these are 5.25" drive - they are not the newer solid state drives. All of my lower bays use sliding trays that my SSDs snap into. It looks like this chassis has two more bays above, but unlike my old towers it seems to be a challenge to access them. Need to go through the front, but removing the front plates, both plastic and metal layers, doesn't seem to be evident. can't find manuals that address this either.  And i don't really want to damage the chassis.

Nonethless, this may push me to set up a separate NAS storage system, probably what i should be doing anyway. 

Thanks again. Cheers,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation