Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a ProDesk 600 G1, recently purchased with a single 500GB Hard Drive.

Before I migrate all my programs from the old machine this is replacing (some of which require LONG installs), I wanted to install an SSD and then use it as the boot disk.

I purchased a Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB drive. I hooked it up to the system (SATA1), booted and used Win 8.1 control panel to format the SSD (Master Boot Record,  like the HD).

Shut the machine down, restarted 

I  started up the computer, the computer beeped and I got a system message "IDE Device Failed"

At the bottom of the screen, in an otherwise black field, was a message that said: "F1: Boot" so I did that and it seemed to start up fine.  

I saw a note in a thread about confirming AHCI, which I thought I did this way:

1. Start Up

2. Hit <ESC>

3. F10

4. At the top menu, select storage

5. A short window shows up showing: "SATA Emulation: AHCI"...if you select it you can change it to IDE, but I did not change so it is still AHCI.

After machine started, and I installed Samsung's cloning software, and it recognized the disk and cloned my primary HD disk to the SSD. I shut down the machine.

I switched the SSD to the SATA0 port on the board, and put the HD in SATA1. 

Restarted the machine, and got the "IDE Device Failed" message again, along with the "F1: Boot" message. So I did that (i.e., pressed F1) and the machine booted (from the HD).

I shut the machine down.

Disconnected the HD (just to check), restarted the machine,  "IDE Device Failed" message again, along with the "F1: Boot" message.  This time there when I did press F1, I got a "No System Disk" message, so I put the HP Win 8.1 Restore Disk in the DVD Drive, and it booted from that.

Tried to install from that DVD onto the SSD. When I get to the part where it says "Where do you want to install Windows" it shows the SSD, which I select, and I am told "Windows cannot be installed to that disk." When I click "Show Details" it says: "Windows cannot be on this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS Menu"

So...two questions:  What is with the IDE message?

And is the ProDesk 600 SFF disabled from installing an OS on an SSD? Or do I need to do something differently with the Win 8.1 Restore disk software?

Maybe I need to solve the IDE message issue first, re-utilize the Migration software, and then try to boot from it? I have a feeling that is the source of the problems, so anything you can help with would be appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I found this post during a google search for a similar issue I was having with the same model. I tried 2 different known good hard drives and was getting the IDE Device Failure message. I replaced the SATA data cable. The error did not occur any more. I was then able to install the OS to the drive without any problems. 

HP Recommended

Good afternoon or whatever time it is for you,

being late to the game and all (by over a year) I would like to reply to this for anyone who may look at this problem in the future

the two different occasions I have seen the problem are 1) Their is a loose cable with to the hard drive (happens alot where I work) could be that a plugin that needs to be cleaned out or just unplug cables and plug them back in. 2) I have not had this for a problem before but have seen it on other sites. The hard drive unfortunately is broke, if you think this is the problem run diognostics on the computer hard drive (if you are unable to do it yourself have a tech savy friend or business do it for you)

If I am missing somthing please reply to this message

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.