Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
xw8400
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently put together my new cpu using the advice of old geekster and sdh. I have the os on a intel 320 ssd and have 3 300gb sas drives for storage. Problem now is the Quadro fx 3400 video card works but no drivers are availableto run the dual dvi display option. I have tried almost every nvidia driver and either the os will not allow install of the driver or the driver says the monitors are not connected to any nvidia card. will have to make another investment, but want to be sure everything is compatable with windows 10. looking at nvidia quadro fx cards. any knowledge about which are the good models that will work in my system. Thanks in advance for any info.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Steve,  Here that document is:

nVidia Quadro drivers W7 or W10 Pro 64-bit best uninstall and install methods

Validated for compatibility with Dome medical grayscale monitors, controlled by CXtra software.  The instructions below are optimized for use with nVidia Quadro cards.  These tips come from years of working with the high resolution medical monitors we use, and repeated driver installs and updates.  When you navigate to nvidia.com to find the drivers for the Quadro cards (including the FX Quadro cards, the default drivers (ODE, optimum drivers for enterprise) include the special medical grayscale monitor drivers.

Many of the HP nVidia Quadro cards have firmware updaters from HP, and those will also work on the non-HP Quadro cards from Dell, PNY, Lenovo, etc. in my experience.  I always apply those firmware updates to any new or used Quadro card I work with, and doing that has solved some blue screen issues which persisted until the firmware update.  Those HP firmware updaters are relatively easy to find via Google.

Below is the method for a very thorough uninstall of older nVidia drivers, and install of new ones.  Have the correct current nVidia Quadro driver installer folder on your desktop.  There are different driver installers available from the nVidia.com web site for W7 64-bit and W10 64-bit, and even now for W10 64-bit Anniversary Update with the same driver number, but they appear to be different installers.  There are also driver installers that will be different if you have two recent Quadro cards in place versus if you have one older FX card and one recent Quadro card, or two older FX cards.  For my cloning source builds I choose to use the lower level drivers (as if there always will be two of the older type of FX cards in place).  That way those clone builds will contain drivers that can work well with any combination of the above at time of first boot of the clone install.  If you have two recent Quadro cards, and won't be making clone builds then you can use the higher level drivers.  nVidia provides listings of what cards will work with that installer, so you can check if older and newer cards can be mixed together in a 2 card system under the same driver set.

Uninstall/Install Methods:

Uninstall via the Programs and Utilities control panel, and do not restart yet.  If the nVidia drivers have been installed in my usual way there will only be the control panel listed.  If any added nVidia components are listed in Programs and Features try to uninstall them individually only after you have uninstalled the nVidia control panel first.  Those extra components usually will already be uninstalled, but if any added uninstalls are possible, do those too.  KEY INFO:  **DO NOT RESTART YET**

Now, go into the root level of C and delete any nVidia folder there.  Then, into Program Files folder, then Programs Folder (x86), and finally into the normally hidden Program Data folder.  If that folder is hidden then you need to go into the Folders control panel, then the View tab, and down to select show hidden files and folders.  It is best to re-hide those after you are done, generally, unless you and all using that workstation know exactly the complications that leaving those showing can result in.  You may need to provide admin rights to delete some of the items above.

**NOW DISCONNECT YOUR NETWORK CABLE AND RESTART**..... Windows OS will search in its original video card install archive and load old fairly generic drivers.  You want to be disconnected from the internet so that the OS will not try to automatically choose a set of drivers from Windows Update, rather than the new nVidia drivers you downloaded earlier.  There will be a bit of a delay and then the OS will want you to restart again.  **RESTART AT THAT POINT, ONCE AGAIN**   Both of those restarts are important to do exactly in the sequence described.

Now run the correct current nVidia installer's .exe file as an administrator, choose Custom, checkmark the Clean Install box, and checkmark only the single nVidia driver out of the options offered.... uncheck all the rest, which are not needed for our purposes.  MAKE SURE TO UNCHECK ANY THAT MAY BE LOW IN THE DROPDOWN MENU DOWN OFF THE VIEWABLE LIST.  This single-item selection installs the driver with its associated accelerators and also the nVidia control panel.

In my experience this somewhat complex process will result in the best uninstall and also the best install of what you need, and none of the unnecessary components.

Added Tips:

For teleradiology workstation installs with 4 monitors I keep the far left and right color monitors set to only 25-30% brightness, to keep unnecessary side lighting down.  For that you need to access the nVidia Control Panel, and go to the "Adjust desktop color settings" section of Display there on the left.  As you click on the 4 monitor's icons you'll see the default under 2 below is "Other applications control color settings".  That is fine for the 2 central Dome grayscale monitors because the CXtra software is in charge of their brightness and DICOM calibration.  But, for the two side color monitors you can sequentially click on their icon, change the default button to "Use NVIDIA settings", and drop the brightness slider bar from the default of 50% down to 25-30%, and click on Apply for that each in succession.  This is an excellent way to keep your "side lighting" down for high end radiology case read outs.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

I think the problem is you need the HP driver for that card.

Try manually installing the latest driver from your PC's support page as follows...

Download and save, but do not run this graphics driver.

TITLE: NVIDIA Quadro Professional Driver for Microsoft Windows Vista and Microsoft Windows 7 64-Bit Operating Systems

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp47501-48000/sp47854.exe

Then download and install this free file utility.  The 2nd file on the list is for 64 bit.

http://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-Zip, right click on the graphics driver you downloaded.  Select 7-zip from the menu.

Have 7-Zip extract to:  and let it extract the driver to its folder name (sp47854).

Then go to the device manager, click to expand the display adapters device category.  Click on the nvidia graphics adapter.  Click on the driver tab, click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option and browse to the driver folder you unzipped.

Make sure the Include subfolders box is checked and see if the driver installs that way.

HP Recommended

I have not used a Quadro FX3400 but I can tell you that I very much like the FX3700 and we're using a bunch of those under Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Anniversary Update.  Price is good off eBay, used.  I did check, however, and the Quadro FX3400 is supported still by nVidia with drivers under W10Pro64AU.

I don't know if there is a HP card firmware updater for the FX3400, but there is for the 3700, and I always firmware update to the HP firmware, even if it is a nVidia Quadro card from Dell/Lenovo, etc.  Those HP firmware updaters work on other brands of the same card.

Go to nVidia.com/ Drivers/ All Drivers/ Quadro/ FX3400/ subselect to OS W1064 Anniv Update/ Get the ODE ones only/ and install those.  Should get you going.

Personally, I'd step up to the FX3700 to keep your tuned xw8400 balanced.  With the W7 Windows Experience Index I'd bet your current video card will stand out as the weak link in the system now.  Ideally you'd have the snap of the video card to match the other components you have built up.  A Quadro 2000 would be an even nicer step up if you can find a good buy, but that is a luxury.  I have two home main testbeds for best performance/cost.  One is a xw6400 with a FX1800 and a FX3700, and the other is a xw6600 with two Quadro 2000's (D and regular version).  I can hardly tell the difference.  Then, there's the Z400/Z600/Z620, etc.   But those other two are for one purpose.... proof of biggest bang for the buck.

I have a very compulsive method for clearing all nVidia drivers down to zero, and rebuilding back up to proper drivers if you get stuck.

The xw6400/ xw8400 with 16GB RAM (4x4 for the xw6400) run amazingly fast and stable with the processors I believe you are using, and that Intel 320 SSD.

Have you read my posts on the need for the special xw workstation storage controller ESB2 drivers to make sure that SSD TRIM not only is enabled but functions?  The ones that MS chose for the default W10 load are incorrect, and enable but do not allow TRIM automatic function.  You want to update to the correct ones so the OS does that for you.  If you stick with the current ones then run TRIM from the Intel ToolBox once per month.

That post is  HERE.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/SSD-Trim-support-dr...

Scott

HP Recommended

scott,

Much thanks,  I did actually buy a fx 3700 last night. I will do a clean driver install when the card arrives. Thanks for the info about the ssd, going to take care of that right now. The 3700 was what I was considering and I'm glad you were able to confirm my choice.

Thanks Steve

HP Recommended

Steve,

I'll post that HowTo on deleting all traces of prior nVidia installs and installing correctly only what you need shortly, before you get the card.  Watch for it.

HP Recommended

Steve,  Here that document is:

nVidia Quadro drivers W7 or W10 Pro 64-bit best uninstall and install methods

Validated for compatibility with Dome medical grayscale monitors, controlled by CXtra software.  The instructions below are optimized for use with nVidia Quadro cards.  These tips come from years of working with the high resolution medical monitors we use, and repeated driver installs and updates.  When you navigate to nvidia.com to find the drivers for the Quadro cards (including the FX Quadro cards, the default drivers (ODE, optimum drivers for enterprise) include the special medical grayscale monitor drivers.

Many of the HP nVidia Quadro cards have firmware updaters from HP, and those will also work on the non-HP Quadro cards from Dell, PNY, Lenovo, etc. in my experience.  I always apply those firmware updates to any new or used Quadro card I work with, and doing that has solved some blue screen issues which persisted until the firmware update.  Those HP firmware updaters are relatively easy to find via Google.

Below is the method for a very thorough uninstall of older nVidia drivers, and install of new ones.  Have the correct current nVidia Quadro driver installer folder on your desktop.  There are different driver installers available from the nVidia.com web site for W7 64-bit and W10 64-bit, and even now for W10 64-bit Anniversary Update with the same driver number, but they appear to be different installers.  There are also driver installers that will be different if you have two recent Quadro cards in place versus if you have one older FX card and one recent Quadro card, or two older FX cards.  For my cloning source builds I choose to use the lower level drivers (as if there always will be two of the older type of FX cards in place).  That way those clone builds will contain drivers that can work well with any combination of the above at time of first boot of the clone install.  If you have two recent Quadro cards, and won't be making clone builds then you can use the higher level drivers.  nVidia provides listings of what cards will work with that installer, so you can check if older and newer cards can be mixed together in a 2 card system under the same driver set.

Uninstall/Install Methods:

Uninstall via the Programs and Utilities control panel, and do not restart yet.  If the nVidia drivers have been installed in my usual way there will only be the control panel listed.  If any added nVidia components are listed in Programs and Features try to uninstall them individually only after you have uninstalled the nVidia control panel first.  Those extra components usually will already be uninstalled, but if any added uninstalls are possible, do those too.  KEY INFO:  **DO NOT RESTART YET**

Now, go into the root level of C and delete any nVidia folder there.  Then, into Program Files folder, then Programs Folder (x86), and finally into the normally hidden Program Data folder.  If that folder is hidden then you need to go into the Folders control panel, then the View tab, and down to select show hidden files and folders.  It is best to re-hide those after you are done, generally, unless you and all using that workstation know exactly the complications that leaving those showing can result in.  You may need to provide admin rights to delete some of the items above.

**NOW DISCONNECT YOUR NETWORK CABLE AND RESTART**..... Windows OS will search in its original video card install archive and load old fairly generic drivers.  You want to be disconnected from the internet so that the OS will not try to automatically choose a set of drivers from Windows Update, rather than the new nVidia drivers you downloaded earlier.  There will be a bit of a delay and then the OS will want you to restart again.  **RESTART AT THAT POINT, ONCE AGAIN**   Both of those restarts are important to do exactly in the sequence described.

Now run the correct current nVidia installer's .exe file as an administrator, choose Custom, checkmark the Clean Install box, and checkmark only the single nVidia driver out of the options offered.... uncheck all the rest, which are not needed for our purposes.  MAKE SURE TO UNCHECK ANY THAT MAY BE LOW IN THE DROPDOWN MENU DOWN OFF THE VIEWABLE LIST.  This single-item selection installs the driver with its associated accelerators and also the nVidia control panel.

In my experience this somewhat complex process will result in the best uninstall and also the best install of what you need, and none of the unnecessary components.

Added Tips:

For teleradiology workstation installs with 4 monitors I keep the far left and right color monitors set to only 25-30% brightness, to keep unnecessary side lighting down.  For that you need to access the nVidia Control Panel, and go to the "Adjust desktop color settings" section of Display there on the left.  As you click on the 4 monitor's icons you'll see the default under 2 below is "Other applications control color settings".  That is fine for the 2 central Dome grayscale monitors because the CXtra software is in charge of their brightness and DICOM calibration.  But, for the two side color monitors you can sequentially click on their icon, change the default button to "Use NVIDIA settings", and drop the brightness slider bar from the default of 50% down to 25-30%, and click on Apply for that each in succession.  This is an excellent way to keep your "side lighting" down for high end radiology case read outs.

HP Recommended

Steve,

The latest FX3700 firmware updater is via  Drivers & Software - HP Support Center.

sp45901.exe

HERE.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=wk_77177_1&swEnvOid=4060

HP Recommended

Great Thank you for all the help.  The monitors are the last part of the build that I need to complete. It's been fun and frustrating trying to swap a my old 8200 xp system (32) into the 8400 windows 10 (64).  My builds are from an old GE Centricity PACS - IW system which we are upgrading. 12 months after the start of the switch over still not 100% operational and only now finding that adminitative features  we were promised are not available or can only be accessed by GE technical personel.  I'm to the office IT guy but know how some of the systems work. Not sure what vendors you deal with but it's nice to know someone in the field of teleradiology.

Once again Thanks for everything Steve

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.