Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Prime
Other

I've had my HP Prime for a few weeks now and have been enjoying using it, but a few hours ago it malfunctioned and I have been unable to resolve the problem. I was using the calculator as normal (and it was functioning without any issues), but as I went back to the apps page from the Solve app, I noticed I was unable to use the arrow keys to go up or down in my app list.

Then I realized the real problem; all of the black keys had suddenly stopped working except for the left and right arrows. I am now unable to go to the home screen, change apps, or escape from any screen. Additionally, the ( ), 9, 1, and . keys stopped working at the same time. All of the other keys and the touchscreen are still functioning as normal.

I would simply chalk it up to hardware failure and call it quits, but there are a couple strange things stopping me from doing so. First off is the seemingly random lower buttons which are also not working. Second would be the left and right arrows which have kept full functionality. Third--the weirdest in my opinion--is that all of the buttons which are otherwise nonfunctioning are still able to wake the screen from a dimmed state.

*It may be worthwhile to note I have loaded no programs/apps to the calculator and the settings were all left entirely stock, other than the occasional change from radians to degrees.

"Solutions" I have tried (none of which have worked):

-turned off and on using front buttons

-reset using back reset button

-attempted resetting using On+Symb (was unsuccessful, as Symb button does not work)

-attempted resetting using Esc+Apps+On (same as above)

-wiped and reformatted memory using Diagnostic Screen (C+F+O+reset), which reset the calculator to factory settings but otherwise changed nothing

-firmware update through HP Connectivity Kit on PC (build: 2015 6 17. Rev:8151)

(note the Connectivity Kit software appears to work fine, it updated successfully and is fully functioning; also, the battery charged to 100% while I was doing this, and made no difference)

(Most of the aforementioned solutions were found here: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-HP-Consumer-Products-and-Technologies/HP-Prime-recovery-mode-V13/...)

Using the Diagnostic screen (accessed through C+F+O+reset), I was able to perform a Keyboard Test, the results of which can be seen below. Black keys are functioning, while white ones denote a failure.

20151123_002551-1lowquality.jpg

If anyone is aware of a solution to this issue, is having or has had the same issue, knows of another thing I can try to fix it, or has any advice in general, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks to all,

Brad W.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi!, bwool1:

Welcome, to Forum !.

Have you, any magnetic field, near where you use, HP PRIME ?.

Note: For determine, if really, is physical problem, you can try remove, the battery by 24hs. If problem continue, is physical. 

And, needed technical assistance (if have warranty), you can call, to HP Support Assistance, more near your home, from ... http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html 

HP PRIME Support, from ... http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Prime-Graphing-Calculator/5367459/model/5367460/more-options

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
HP Recommended

The solution will be to contact support (this will nearly certainly be something hw releated internally). If that doesn't resolve things, send me an email at calchelp  at  hp.com

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
HP Recommended

UPDATE  

- Problem Solved Itself

I still have no idea what exactly was the issue with my HP Prime. I tried again to use it after several hours of rest and it was still not functioning properly. At this point I was in a different building, so it seems not to be caused by the surroundings. Roughly an hour after that attempt, I again tried to use it and for some reason, it turned on and began working without any issues!

I have no clue what the issue was, and it has not happened again since. If for some reason it begins acting up again or I learn more about what was causing my problem, I will be sure to post here about it.

Thanks to all for your help,

Brad W.

HP Recommended

Hi!, bwool1:

IMHO, you have, any problem, of Foucoult current or, Hysteresis, which makes it fails, your HP PRIME. It can be clothes with synthetic fiber carpets or floor or a close environment, possessing magnetic fields. Sometimes there are people who have much capacitance in your body and although these calculators are tested and/or blinded, they usually fail, if somewhere, in their coverage exposure.

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
HP Recommended
I jast had the same problem but with different buttons. Do you know if there is any other solution? In addition of what bwool1 did I removed the battery for 8 hours but nothing changed. Although the buttons that do not work they can wake up screen. Please help me as soon as possible!!!
HP Recommended

Hi @gmalekkos1

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that some of the buttons on your HP prime are not working.

I’d love to help!

I recommend you to contact phone support to further diagnose the issue.

Follow below steps to contact phone support.

Step 1. Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Hope that helps and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.