Question

Highlighted
Student
Message 1 of 2 (183 Views)

EVAL with variables from other directories

I use a HP50g calculator to solve heat transfer exercises.

I have some variables with REAL values stored in a folder, for example 'T0' with a value of 30, and 'T1' with a value of 50.

I also have in the same folder some expressions such as 'Tm', that stores the equation '(T0+T1)/2'.

Then I EVAL the expressions, for example EVAL for 'Tm' would give me 40, as it is (30+50)/2.

But in order to do that, I need to store all the variables and expressions IN THE SAME FOLDER, and I use about 50 variables, which makes it messy to navigate through the folder.

Is there anyway I can EVAL expressions that use variables from other directories?

Let's say I have to solve some problems of the type 'PIPE1', and others from the 'PIPE2'. I'd like to set up some structure such as:

• HOME
    • HEAT TRANSFER
      • PIPE1
      • WATER PROPIERTIES
      • PIPE GEOMETRY
      • PIPE MATERIAL PROPIERTIES
      • PIPE2
      • AIR PROPIERTIES
      • STEAM PROPIERTIES
      • PIPE GEOMETRY

and I would need that any expression stored in STEAM PROPIERTIES looked recursively for the variables in any subfolder inside he PIPE2 directory.

Is there any way I could do that?

Intern
Message 2 of 2 (153 Views)

Re: EVAL with variables from other directories

Hello,

It has been a LONG time since I last used the 50g, but you should be able to do {directory variable} RCL to get your variable without changing directory and while keeping your directory structure. 'directory\variable' might also work, but I am not sure.

cyrille
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation