Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

A few month ago I purchase on Amazon a HP 12C Financial Calculator for my Dad that lives out of the country.  Had it shipped to him and when he got it , the calculator was not working properly.  He send it back to me but it was too late to have it return to Amazon.

Does anyone know if it's worth it to have it repair rather than buying a new one?    If it's worth it to have it repair where can I send it.  I live in Zip Code 77433

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can try the following:

1. Replace the batteries. Be sure the new batteries are of a reputable make purchased from a reliable source

2. There should be a reset hole under the battery cover. Insert a straightened-out paper clip gently into the hole to reset the calculator.

3.1 remove batteries

3.2 take a metal paper clip and short the battery terminal in calculator together for ten seconds.

3.3 replace batteries and turn on.

If this does not help, you may need to buy a new one. Unfortunately modern calculators are not made to be repaired. As far as I'm aware HP does not offer a repair service. the labor cost probably will be more than a new one.

Best regards.

-Bart

Thanks... BartdB.

I will try the reset...otherwise will have to purchase a new one.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Also try new batteries. Quite often that is the cause of misbehaviour (calculator turns off while in use, "Pr Error", etc.).

Best regards.

-Bart

Hi!, Schila:

Welcome, to Forum !.

For your problem, try with next link, from HP ... http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bpia5202

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
HP Recommended

@Maké wrote:

Hi!, Schila:

Welcome, to Forum !.

For your problem, try with next link, from HP ... http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bpia5202

The story behind this calculator.  It was purchase July 2014.  Like I said before it was for my Dad .  Calculator shipped overseas and when Dad got it, it seemed like it was not working.  Not knowing what to do he ship it back to me.  Too late for return to Amazon so I kept in the house as trash.  A few days ago I was looking at old stuff and found the calculator.  By coincidence my parents are here visiting.  So I decided to go online and find a solution and came accross with this forum.   I printed this document and hand it to my father ( he is 78 years old ) and told him to follow instructions.  He went to his room and after a few minutes came to the kitchen with this huge smile on his face.  He said: I did step number one, which is resetting the calculator from Keyboard and look.  He started to make some calculations and sure enough.  Calculator works perfectly fine.  Thanks you people

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.